Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Air Screw setting on Z1

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Oldspot
new poster

Air Screw setting on Z1

#1 PostAuthor: Oldspot » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:46 pm

Hi, my name is Oldspot. I am a new member and this is my first post. I have an early Z1 which I have recently brought back from Australia. Although I have been riding the bike reasonably for the last 2 years, it has never been great until fully warmed up; plugs can get black at idle. I have just reset all floats to give 3.5 mm and I have checked timing (which is electronic). Plugs are clean and fuel good (i think). Anyhow, I have got into a little bit of a pickle with the airscrew setting. Its meant to be 1 1/2 turns out as standard, but I can't decide if a turn is a turn of the hand (180) or a full turn (360); stupid I know but thats my question. Bike was running and now won't even try and fire up at all. Have checked spark and fuel and seems ok. Any thoughts.

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Air Screw setting on Z1

#2 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:05 pm

1 full turn = 360 degrees.

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:19 pm

Hi, Best way is to lightly turn screws in clockwise till they bottom out,put a light centre punch dot or scribe a scratch is and indicator in line with screw slot,start at 1 1/4 turns out and go from there..If it was running ok before,would start with fresh fuel and some decent denso plugs,let us all know how you get on if no joy and welcome to the forum...Paul j
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."
-Han Solo

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

Salad is what real food eats.
Anon

PUM 673

Oldspot
new poster

#4 PostAuthor: Oldspot » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:03 am

Thanks for feedback; i will let you know how i go on.

Oldspot
new poster

#5 PostAuthor: Oldspot » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:48 pm

Did what you suggested with new fuel and denso plugs. Managed to get it going and it ran very well. When I looked at old plugs it appeared that there was some arcing from insulation even after cleaning. I will try tomorrow from cold again and see if it starts normally. I still think sparks are a little yellow; I have a dyna S system with dyna coils and leads. I have good compression of 150 on each cylinder.

Oldspot

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:41 pm

Thats good its running now,check batt volts at 3k revs should be around14.6 volts,check coils getting full battery voltage,when bike not running.ign on.Best to take her out and give it the beans ,check plugs then, doing a plug chop if poss,starting up and letting it run a lot always seems to do more harm than good inmho.Carb balance and shims would be of benifit if not already done...
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

-Han Solo

Anon

PUM 673

Oldspot
new poster

#7 PostAuthor: Oldspot » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:14 pm

Still running good. Checked out battery volts = good and coils good in terms of primary (4.7) and secondary (15K) ohms. However, the voltage at the coils are only 10.7 V. Have read the article about putting in a relay to coils to get back to 12 V. Any thoughts on this mod for a dana -S system?

Oldspot

Oldspot
new poster

#8 PostAuthor: Oldspot » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:15 pm

I meant Dyna not Dana!

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:06 pm

The coil/relay mod does work,its a get around the old leccies,no probs with dyna set up,glad you are making progress.Paul J

-Han Solo

Anon

PUM 673

Return to “Bike Help”