Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Thoughts on new chain and sprockets for '73 Z1

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Oldspot
new poster

Thoughts on new chain and sprockets for '73 Z1

#1 PostAuthor: Oldspot » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:17 pm

I am thinking of renewing my chain and sprockets on my Z1 as I don't know when they were last changed and the chain seems to be quite loose all of a sudden which makes me think something isn't quite right. I will adjust to the correct tension and then do the chain length check between rivets as per the manual. Then I will take chain and sprockets off the bike to check for wear.

I have heard that there are options for the type of chain (530) as well as sprocket ratios. I can't say that I really understand all of this fully, so I was interested in any view members may have. In terms of ratios, I am happy to have less acceleration for less revs at higher speeds; it seems to me that my current ratio favours acceleration, as I get to 5th very quickly unless I ride with high rev noise in the lower gears at reletaively modest speeds. When I take sprockets off I will check the current ratio.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Oldspot :l1ck

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Thoughts on new chain and sprockets for '73 Z1

#2 PostAuthor: Philippe » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:22 pm

Hi Oldspot
when you have to replace a worn out chain and or sprockets, replace both of them, not only the chain or not only the sprockets.
Use an O-ring chain, they last longer.
If you want to know if your chain or sprockets are worn: take the chain at the rear sprocket and try to pull it backward, away from the sprocket. If you succeed, replace it. If you want to see if the sprocket is worn, take a close look at the teeth, if they are bent or no longer equal in shape, replace the sprockets.
If you want to change from a 630 to a 530 chain go ahead but make sure you have the correct sprockets.
Good luck!
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Oldspot
new poster

#3 PostAuthor: Oldspot » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:39 pm

Thanks Philippe,
I note that the 530 is much lighter but I assume is fully capable of taking the load given its used on modern machines with more HP?

Oldspot

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: Al » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:03 pm

Modern 530 chain is;

lighter
stronger
runs cooler
quieter
easier to rivett / de-rivett
cheaper
more readily available
lasts longer
saps less energy
easier to manhandle
easier to accurately adjust

than 630 chain.

With the exception of appearance (originality) they are hard to tell apart to the casual observer.
AL
1981 J1

chrisu

#5 PostAuthor: chrisu » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:10 pm

what Al said !

modern 200bhp+ bikes use 530 so 630 is now overkill

ZedHead
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: ZedHead » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:02 am

All of the above

Weight saving is nearly 1kg per 100 links! Mainly due to thinner plates and smaller pins

530 chains are the same width as 630 but 20% shorter pitch. So the overall chain length increases accordingly. A 92 link 630 chain becomes 110.7 in 530 pitch. I have found 110 to be a bit tight so the closest above being 112. Spocket teeth count also increases proportionally. 15T front becomes 18T and 35T rear becomes 42T.

Finding sprockets of the correct fitment in 530 is not always straight forward. PMC produce replacement fronts and custom rears can be found if not readily available off the shelf. All of which can increase the cost.

The important thing to remember is that pre Z1B (Z1 and Z1A) bikes were not fitted with O ring chains. On the Z1B Kawasaki found that the wider outer width of O ring chains caused the chain to catch the engine casings, so they fitted a bossed front sprocket and rear sprocket spacer to move the chain away. Whichever pitch you decide, you will need space your sprockets like this on your Z1.

PM me if you need further advice

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: Philippe » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:16 am

Hi Zedhead
I agree completely. I mounted a 630 O-ring chain on my '72 Z1 and used the offset sprocket at the front and the spacer on the rear sprocket. I covered 6000 Km with it without any problems.
But yes the 530 chain has advantages compared to the 630 chain.
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Oldspot
new poster

#8 PostAuthor: Oldspot » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:24 pm

So with O-ring fit I will need bossed drive sprocket as bike is Z1. Thanks for advice.
Oldspot

ZedHead
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: ZedHead » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:29 pm

Oldspot wrote:So with O-ring fit I will need bossed drive sprocket as bike is Z1. Thanks for advice.
Oldspot

If you stay with 630 then use JTF521-15 don't forget to space the rear the same amount. I have some lazer cut replicas of the original Z1B/Z900 spacers

Gonzo
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#10 PostAuthor: Gonzo » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:47 pm

I'm not looking at changing either my chain or sprockets at the moment but grew intrigued by this thread.
So, I had a look at what's currently on my bike, it says 630 on my chain and the rear sprocket has 33 stamped on it - can't see the front sprocket but I'm guessing 15? Is this pretty much standard set up for a z1000?
1978 Z1000A2
Previous Zeds:
1975 Z1B
1982 Z650F3

ZedHead
Hardcore
Hardcore

#11 PostAuthor: ZedHead » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:53 pm

Gonzo wrote:I'm not looking at changing either my chain or sprockets at the moment but grew intrigued by this thread.
So, I had a look at what's currently on my bike, it says 630 on my chain and the rear sprocket has 33 stamped on it - can't see the front sprocket but I'm guessing 15? Is this pretty much standard set up for a z1000?

Yes. This is a useful guide to original specs

http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/

Note the smaller centre hole on z1000 rear sprocket compared to 900 drum models

Charlie
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#12 PostAuthor: Charlie » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:46 am

ZedHead wrote:All of the above

Weight saving is nearly 1kg per 100 links! Mainly due to thinner plates and smaller pins

The important thing to remember is that pre Z1B (Z1 and Z1A) bikes were not fitted with O ring chains. On the Z1B Kawasaki found that the wider outer width of O ring chains caused the chain to catch the engine casings

Apologies for butchering your post to reply, but there IS an option to run 530 sealed ring chain now without catching the casings or modifying sprockets beyond fitting the correct pitch.

RK have introduced a 530 pitch sealed ring chain precisely for that purpose. It has been engineered to be no wider (well something like a 100th of a millimetre I believe) than a "normal" 530 pitch chain. It does it cos RK designed a special sealing ring that has a minimal thickness

RK 530UWV is the chain you need. It is the only chain currently available of its type.

Spiel says:
RK 530UWV chain was especially developed to replace 530 non-sealed chains on classic motorcycles where clearances between sprockets and crankcase or chains and swingarm are restrictive.

This 530 UWV chain features RK ultra thin UW-Ring seals. This gives a sealed ring chain with a very similar outer width to conventional non sealed chains, allowing fitment where sealed chain could not previously be used.

Converting from non sealed chain to sealed ring UWV can give up to 4 times the life of a non-sealed chain.

UWV has very minimal friction and very little stretch after initial adjustment

Why do I persist in debating with idiots ? I really should know better :)

ZedHead
Hardcore
Hardcore

#13 PostAuthor: ZedHead » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:03 pm

Charlie wrote:
ZedHead wrote:All of the above

The important thing to remember is that pre Z1B (Z1 and Z1A) bikes were not fitted with O ring chains. On the Z1B Kawasaki found that the wider outer width of O ring chains caused the chain to catch the engine casings

Apologies for butchering your post to reply, but there IS an option to run 530 sealed ring chain now without catching the casings or modifying sprockets beyond fitting the correct pitch.

RK have introduced a 530 pitch sealed ring chain precisely for that purpose. It has been engineered to be no wider (well something like a 100th of a millimetre I believe) than a "normal" 530 pitch chain. It does it cos RK designed a special sealing ring that has a minimal thickness

RK 530UWV is the chain you need. It is the only chain currently available of its type.

Spiel says:
RK 530UWV chain was especially developed to replace 530 non-sealed chains on classic motorcycles where clearances between sprockets and crankcase or chains and swingarm are restrictive.

This 530 UWV chain features RK ultra thin UW-Ring seals. This gives a sealed ring chain with a very similar outer width to conventional non sealed chains, allowing fitment where sealed chain could not previously be used.

Converting from non sealed chain to sealed ring UWV can give up to 4 times the life of a non-sealed chain.

UWV has very minimal friction and very little stretch after initial adjustment

Certainly an option Charlie, they only seem to be available in silver and 530 pitch so sprocket change still needed.

Charlie
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#14 PostAuthor: Charlie » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:35 pm

Sprocket change to 530 pitch of course.

It is silver because its is a colour that suits the older bikes. Very few when asked wanted a gold chain on classic bikes. My opinion is that it looks better than a drab grey steel colour too ? :cool It isn't a polished finish as far as I am aware, just a silver coloured hard coating.

A 530 swap is a conversion on a Zed anyway, but now there is the option to run a sealed chain instead of HD chain without further messing about :)
Why do I persist in debating with idiots ? I really should know better :)

ZedHead
Hardcore
Hardcore

#15 PostAuthor: ZedHead » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:45 pm

Charlie wrote:Sprocket change to 530 pitch of course.

It is silver because its is a colour that suits the older bikes. Very few when asked wanted a gold chain on classic bikes. My opinion is that it looks better than a drab grey steel colour too ? :cool It isn't a polished finish as far as I am aware, just a silver coloured hard coating.

A 530 swap is a conversion on a Zed anyway, but now there is the option to run a sealed chain instead of HD chain without further messing about :)

I was just making the observation that since it is a 530 conversion the sprockets are not always straight forward. Fitting a 630 chain to a Z1 or Z1A just requires the same set up as Z900 which is readily available

Return to “Bike Help”