Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Thoughts on new chain and sprockets for '73 Z1

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Coose
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: Thoughts on new chain and sprockets for '73 Z1

#16 PostAuthor: Coose » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:07 pm

I only use RK chains as they're the best by far. I have one on my KTM 950 Adventure that has done over 15000 miles in all weathers, including quite a bit of off-road and it's still not ready to be changed. They're not the cheapest but they're bloody good!

ZedHead
Hardcore
Hardcore

#17 PostAuthor: ZedHead » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:13 am

Coose wrote:I only use RK chains as they're the best by far. I have one on my KTM 950 Adventure that has done over 15000 miles in all weathers, including quite a bit of off-road and it's still not ready to be changed. They're not the cheapest but they're bloody good!

The XSO Z1 racing chain gets very high ratings. That said all X ring chains offer less friction and longer life than O rings, including JT

Oldspot
new poster

#18 PostAuthor: Oldspot » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:13 pm

Following on from my original post, I have now removed the chain and sprockets. The current setup is a 630 DID with 'O' seals and it has a master link. The front sprocket is a 15 and has a boss. The rear sprocket is a 35. Front sprocket looks like it has some wear but I am no expert; I will consult my mate Dave who has been building Manx Norton's for years for racing, he should know.

Does anyone know how to check chain stretch; I think there is a measurement some where in the manual for a given number of links/rivets.

Also, if I go for a new chain and sprockets which is very likely, would you advise on keeping clear of a master link and do a rivet job for a continuous chain? :save

ZedHead
Hardcore
Hardcore

#19 PostAuthor: ZedHead » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:55 pm

Hold about a foot of chain horizontally and sideways (90 deg from normal) in mid air. It should hold fairly straight. If there is more than a slight bow the chain is worn. If you replace with endless the swing arm has to come out. Easier to use hollow or soft rivet to join and preferable to split link

Oldspot
new poster

#20 PostAuthor: Oldspot » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:12 am

Charlie,

i have done some research on the spec of the RX 530UWV; it appears that it is only designed for unto 750 CC. If you look at the plate sizes they are significantly down on a normal 530 and of-cource 630. You may want to look at this link http://transmisiongp.com/Pictures/Marca ... _Chart.pdf

Return to “Bike Help”