Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Andrews cams don't fit

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Swirl
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Andrews cams don't fit

#1 PostAuthor: Swirl » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:14 am

My engine builder has been on the phone, my Andrews cams are to big, bit of background info first, 1015 block, took out to 1045, 71mm wossner high comp forged pistons, Oct 1976 900 a4 head, bronze valve guides.
Right this is were it falls apart a bit as I'm not a engine builder so here's what i remember, he set the pistons to middle i.e not tdc on any cylinder, installed the first cam with cam caps went to shim it up, but the cam won't turm wit the cams tightened up in the caps, obviously first thing is measure up, any ideas to throw in the mix, believed to be Andrews X2 cams 73-76

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Andrews cams don't fit

#2 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:06 am

Either the guides are not the short type (original oem bronze are too long ) so that valve keepers/retainers are bottoming out on the top of the guides or the head hasn't been clearanced around the bucket bores and the lobe tips are hitting the head and preventing the cams from rotating.
Either situation will be alleviated by loosening the caps as this allows the cams to sit higher and reduce the interference.
Also to time the cams 1 and 4 need to be at TDC.
You can't set the cam timing with the pistons halfway down the bores.
Also the the cast crosses above each lobe will need grinding off the inside of the cam cover.
All basic stuff.
Maybe get another mechanic ???

walshyco
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: walshyco » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:54 pm

Not sure if I’m reading this right but are you saying the camshafts are locking up when the cam caps are tightened up, and the guy is leaving the pistons half way down the bores just to make sure there’s no contact with the valves, not to time it up.

Swirl
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#4 PostAuthor: Swirl » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:06 pm

I'm not sure on any of it, I know what all the components are and do, as far as assembly goes, pass, my mate is a good builder and knows his stuff, was just seeing if there was anything anyone has came acroos

Swirl
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#5 PostAuthor: Swirl » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:08 pm

Valve guides are ape if I remember

buzzard
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: buzzard » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:43 pm

Are you sure your engine builder is clued up on Zed engines, one mistake and you can bend valves, just be careful. I think 2x cams are 0.360" lift which is not that radical. Probably as Rob says cylinder head needs to be machined to allow lobes to clear. Buzzard@thebuzzworkz.
Every man should have a shed (for bikes obviously..)

martinz1000r
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#7 PostAuthor: martinz1000r » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:45 pm

Just another observation based on personal experience. What you dont say is if the motor was all running and serviceable before it went to your man. I had similar issue with one of my Unitrak motors. Everytime the cams were torqued down the motor wouldn't turn over. Turns out previous owner had lost the cam caps and had just stuck another set on. Cam caps are paired and machined to match the head. They dont mix and match. Had to have mine line bored which fixed the issue.

BTW Buzzard - sent you an email....
Z1000R, Moto Martin GPz, z900 A4 Crosby Replica, Harris Magnum 2, Suzuki GSXR 1100 Slabbie, SP1 Hoonda x 2, Katana 1100, Bimota SB6R and Tuatara

chrisNI
Site Admin

#8 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:08 pm

buzzard wrote:Are you sure your engine builder is clued up on Zed engines, one mistake and you can bend valves, just be careful. I think 2x cams are 0.360" lift which is not that radical. Probably as Rob says cylinder head needs to be machined to allow lobes to clear. Buzzard@thebuzzworkz.

Shouldn’t do really I,m pretty sure my Z1000 is on .389s and they went straight in with std guides and no machining.

buzzard
100Club
100Club

#9 PostAuthor: buzzard » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:31 pm

You could be right Chris, never fitted 2x cams. Always fitted Andrews 3x cams. Buzzard .
Every man should have a shed (for bikes obviously..)

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#10 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:02 pm

He may have put the cam caps on in the wrong place / switched them around ?
adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

Swirl
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#11 PostAuthor: Swirl » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:03 am

All's good we have movement, unsure of the issue but alls good

Return to “Bike Help”