Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Later model coil fitting..

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

MrC
Regular Poster

Later model coil fitting..

#1 PostAuthor: MrC » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:31 am

Has anyone fitted later model coils to a early 80s 1000 or 1100 .ie zzr1100... and so on .. just checking ohm raitings .I've fitted loads of
Later model parts on race cars with same function

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Later model coil fitting..

#2 PostAuthor: Al » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:37 pm

I'm sure its been done but cant help with that i am afraid. You'll be aware of Dyna products and their breadth of applicability to our type of bikes. I cant remember seeing anyone using alternate coils but Dyna is a very common upgrade depending on what you want to do. Which ignition system do you have currently? Green dyna coils (3 ohm) are fairly common replacements for standard ignition systems and standard ignition systems are commonly replaced with Dyna 'S' units or Dyna 2000 as in my case.
Pretty expensive compared to other methods but they fit and work and survive well.

P.S. Other replacement ignition systems exist but again with no experience of them, i cant comment.

AL

http://www.dynaonline.com/products/spor ... yna-s.aspx
http://www.dynaonline.com/products/acce ... coils.aspx
1981 J1

MrC
Regular Poster

#3 PostAuthor: MrC » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:59 pm

I have a set of zzr1100 1994 coils which I'm looking at trying. Any thoughts would be great.. I had accel on my old drag bike and they worked very well no spark blow out on boost ..

Coose
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#4 PostAuthor: Coose » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:43 pm

You *should* be ok. A J (same coils as your GPz) has a primary coil resistance of 1.8-2.8 ohms, a ZZR 2.3-3.5 ohms. A lot of people (including me) use green 3 ohm Dyna coils.
I'd measure the primary resistance and as long as they're pretty close to 3 ohms you'll be ok.

Return to “Bike Help”