Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Kawasaki Z900 minus reg

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

edg-65
new poster

Kawasaki Z900 minus reg

#1 PostAuthor: edg-65 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:24 pm

Hi all
Thought i would ask here as i'm having great trouble in getting a reg number for my recent purchase.
I bought a Z900 from a chap which came with no paperwork and minus its number plate. The engine number is present as is the frame number. First port of call was the dvla who came with no record of said bike i then got in touch with a Chap called Rick Brett who could only confirm that the bike is a UK sold bike and not an import.
Thats it.
So if any one could advise on where i could find the original number plate please let me know.
Many thanks for this.. The engine number is Z1E.136770 The frame number is Z1F-116350.. The colour is a dark green.

Kind regards Simon.

chrisNI
Site Admin

Re: Kawasaki Z900 minus reg

#2 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:15 pm

Could be somewhat tricky. If it hasn’t been registered in some years its frame number may never have been on the Dvla computer. The only realistic chance is a paper trail as in go back to the guy you bought it off and try and find out where he got it and then go there and ask, old fashioned shoe leather. If it’s a UK bike there’s a trail somewhere. You might get lucky...

chrisw1
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: chrisw1 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:49 pm

I recently bought a UK Z1B locally which came with no paperwork at all
Although I could not get the original reg number it was simple enough to re register with the DVLA .... I can talk you through it if it helps

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:51 pm

DVLA computer was set up late 1998. So if your bike has not had a change in registered owner / taxed since then extremely difficult to trace.
adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

8 Valve Mark
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#5 PostAuthor: 8 Valve Mark » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:32 pm

have you considered asking the dvla for information based on both engine/frame numbers, previous known history etc using the 'freedom of information act"?? your local citizens advice should be able to help,n represent you. its there for us all, run by volunteers but they carry some weight with the red tape brigades. give it a go! maybe take a jar of nescafe n some jaffa cakes as a thank you.? cheaper than a lawyer askin the same question; its free n freely accessible via the good people at the citizens advice. bon voyage.. m

8 Valve Mark
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#6 PostAuthor: 8 Valve Mark » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:42 pm

.. or if you're in Scotland, take some deep-fried mars bars, marinated in whisky, wrapped in brandy laden, salted batter.. bargain either way... :D

relisysxx
100Club
100Club

#7 PostAuthor: relisysxx » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:14 am

If you know someone in the trade, get them to HPI the chassis number, I had a Z1b with no reg number and it worked for me (needs to be trade though, not one off the net).

Ginger Bear
Hardcore
Hardcore

#8 PostAuthor: Ginger Bear » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:18 am

relisysxx wrote:If you know someone in the trade, get them to HPI the chassis number, I had a Z1b with no reg number and it worked for me (needs to be trade though, not one off the net).

I have contacted one of my car trade buddies to do just that........... watch this space. :??

# 104

Phil Churchett Award Winner 2011 & 2016 :D
Buzzworkz Best Modified Zed 2016

Gus
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: Gus » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:33 am

Hi GB

Do we form a queue here? :D

I did have success a few years ago with the help of a club member but he hasn't posted in a few years.

Gus
"Set the GRINDER on it"

samspoons
100Club
100Club

#10 PostAuthor: samspoons » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:58 pm

Yes, i also went down the hpi route twice with the help of a club member and had two good results. Dont want to post his user name though sorry. But it confirms this way does work.

needaz1100r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#11 PostAuthor: needaz1100r » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:16 pm

Ginger Bear wrote:
relisysxx wrote:If you know someone in the trade, get them to HPI the chassis number, I had a Z1b with no reg number and it worked for me (needs to be trade though, not one off the net).

I have contacted one of my car trade buddies to do just that........... watch this space. :??

A dealer HPI search of the VIN or engine number will, as said produce a list of all vehicles with that VIN or engine number. I did it through a friend in the trade on a Suzuki and it produced 3 or 4 vehicles, but a process of elimination gave me the right one.
Cheers,

Mark.

Ginger Bear
Hardcore
Hardcore

#12 PostAuthor: Ginger Bear » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:20 pm

Well it hasn't worked this time.

Here's what my mate said;

"Nothing comes back with this number (see attached). I have tried all permutations. The only thing that came back was when I just entered 116350. This came back as a Norton 250. Clearly with the prefix of Z1F it isn’t the right thing. So sorry, no joy. However, the good news is that you owe me another beer!"
Attachments
Fatty (2).pdf
(187.3 KiB) Downloaded 121 times

# 104

Phil Churchett Award Winner 2011 & 2016 :D

Buzzworkz Best Modified Zed 2016

Gus
Hardcore
Hardcore

#13 PostAuthor: Gus » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:35 pm

My results were through Experian Auto Check.

That was in 2012

Gus
"Set the GRINDER on it"

edg-65
new poster

#14 PostAuthor: edg-65 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:28 pm

Many thanks for every ones imput. I have been told that it has been off the road for many years albeit its in good nick.

I think i will just have to go back to DVLA and go through the process of registering with an age related plate. Didnt want this but its better than nothing.
Simon.

davejames
ZedHead
ZedHead

#15 PostAuthor: davejames » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:24 am

It might be worth trying a hyphen between the Z1-F in the frame number. I had this problem at mot time a few years ago when Z1F wasn't recognised and I was sent home by the tester to retrieve the previous certificate. I duly returned and sure enough there was a hyphen there which then worked when inputted onto the system. It has to match exactly.
Feng shui................my arse

Return to “Bike Help”