Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

1973 Z1-NOISE IN MOTOR

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

ZedHead
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: 1973 Z1-NOISE IN MOTOR

#46 PostAuthor: ZedHead » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:16 pm

Clutch housing/needle bearing/bushing would make sense all things considered

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#47 PostAuthor: z1bman » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:06 pm

i would say your problem is the clutch basket

chrisNI
Site Admin

#48 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:49 am

Buzzard is set up to re-do clutch basket springs now, article in forthcoming mag. :D

gpjes
100Club
100Club

#49 PostAuthor: gpjes » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:15 am

Crank, I've have my fair load of shite with these, though saying that all been shell type, the mains, they will give you the noise you've described as would number 3 wear, recon crank, plastigauge the mains obviously new don't know what're on now, poss brown, theyre colour coded, brown blue and black, you've got this far, so you might as well, don't forget it's little heart, the oil pump :D Happy New Year
More Smiles Per Mile

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#50 PostAuthor: Philippe » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:19 am

Hi gpjes
in a Z1 engine the crackshaft has roller bearings, no shells...I think you're confusing it with another engine.
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

PJONO
100Club
100Club

#51 PostAuthor: PJONO » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:20 pm

Hi,

Checked the float on the looser of the rods.( Number 2 or 3) Original Kawasaki manual states normal lateral typically up to 0.4 mm. Considered above service limit at 0.6 Mine about 0.38 so towards the looser end of the scale.

Fortunately have a clutch basket which I've installed. Springs good on that one. Rotated the old one at speed and the larger of the springs just flopped about making a 'cyclic' sound.

Have just received a full secondhand gearbox from the States which looks great -bearings look great and feel slightly better than mine. May install this or swap bearings at least. Mine felt okay but these feel better.

Few questions about the gearbox.

1. Can the larger bearings secured only by the half- rings in the upper case spin in the alloy housings?

2.The recently acquired gearbox has a longer sprocket shaft. All the internal dimensions are the same just a longer shaft protruding out of the case upon which the sprocket is mounted. I'm presuming that this is a later shaft, extended in length to deal with the thicker 'O' ring chains available after 1973. Will this cause me a problem if I install it. Seems sensible to do so rather than mess with spacers.

ZedHead
Hardcore
Hardcore

#52 PostAuthor: ZedHead » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:48 pm

There are two part numbers for the output shaft, which supports your O ring theory. In which case I expect the extra length to be in the spline section.

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#53 PostAuthor: Philippe » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:44 pm

Hi PJONO

I've never noticed that the balbearings rotate in the cranckcases once they're bolted together
The longer output shaft could be from a MK2. Or you'll have to swap it with the original or you'll have to install a different nut and safety spacer (MK2 type).
I would use the old shafts and gears if they're not damaged, after all they're original and are "blended" into eachother. You can change the bearings, that's not a problem but I wouldn't use old ones, I would use new ones.
The output shaft of your Z1 should have a fine hole where the sprocket sits, that was ment to put a small metal rod through so that the little pump that provided the chain oil recieved it's power.
Good luck
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

PJONO
100Club
100Club

#54 PostAuthor: PJONO » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:11 pm

Hi Phillipe,

All good sense suggestions and advice. Think I'll do all the bearings properly down in the gearbox.

Had a pretty experienced engineer look at the rods and crank. Though not urgent he suggests its close to the service limit and may as well be checked over properly. Guess I may as well do it right.. I'd budgeted to to do it.

P

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#55 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:25 pm

Glad you're making some progress.
adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

gpjes
100Club
100Club

#56 PostAuthor: gpjes » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:58 pm

Philippe wrote:Hi gpjes
in a Z1 engine the crackshaft has roller bearings, no shells...I think you're confusing it with another engine.
GrtZ
Philippe

Yep Your right, just me, done a fair few, ours are good old pressed cranks :biggrin
More Smiles Per Mile

PJONO
100Club
100Club

#57 PostAuthor: PJONO » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:59 pm

Crank shaft sent away for check and report.See what it throws up. So that's now a bit of waiting game now. Will install new gearbox bearings and new clutch roller bearing to current gearbox. By doing this I feel I've covered all bases. It's a bike I intend to keep and ride for some years so it's fair enough. Will continue saga in due course. Theres other stuff I can be doing in the meantime. I typically like to do things/repairs in sequence as opposed to concurrently. Never know where the fault is if you've done loads of work -particularly electrical. Someone offering a brand spanking crank NOS on eBay £1295!

wilsonsjw11
Hardcore
Hardcore

#58 PostAuthor: wilsonsjw11 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:58 pm

The NOS crank is being offered by Steve Debben of Debbens.
Regards
Steve

wilsonsjw11
Hardcore
Hardcore

#59 PostAuthor: wilsonsjw11 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:30 pm

I stand corrected on the NOS crank,it's Steve Bateman(Ringwood)who is selling it.
Regards
Steve

PJONO
100Club
100Club

#60 PostAuthor: PJONO » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:35 pm

With the crank away decided to do loads of other stuff to the bike. New gearbox bearings right through. (Honestly don't think that these's anything wrong with the old one's. If anyones desperate for a good set get hold of me and we'll sort something)

Replaced full wiring loom as the old one had been 'butchered'. In one 12 inch section of loom there were 8 solder repairs on three wires. How the ******. Anyway the loom was aged and knackered. Took me a day to reconfigure all the remaining creative wiring back to stock.
Here's a question -how unhelpful is it to reproduce the wiring diagram for the bike in the Haynes, Clymer and Genuine Service book in black and white. Just makes life awkward for the sake of it. Much easier to refer to the coloured one on the owners manual Anyway everything is working well after major reconfiguration.

Been replacing seat cover this evening. Struggled with appropriate adhesive .Didn't want to use standard contact adhesive as apparently it reacts with the vinyl and returns the impact adhesive to a gooey mess in a matter of weeks due to the it having a reaction with the vinyl. Have used simple UHU. Appears to have done the job. Works great. (Maybe, time will tell) Allows you sufficient time to tweak and manipulate the edges as it steadily goes off over a shortish period (Wife recommended this as she's done similar stuff with vinyl in the past. (Yup- I can hear the brains ticking over - but it was repairing some PVC seats not her dominatrix kit!) We'll see, I'm fully expecting one day that as I accelerate away it'll slip off. Perhaps she's simply wanting rid of me.

Wheel bearings waiting to to be done. Head to be inspected. Barrels to be honed. Cases to be sprayed up. Time vampire these things! Always seems to need another few bits.

IMG_7037.jpeg

Picture posted. Looks a sorry state I know, but it's being rejuvenated`!!! Hope the motor doesn't make that noise after all this.

P.S the screwdriver is my temporary earthing point. Not an optional extra!

Image before the rip down .But with noise.
IMG_6922.jpeg
IMG_6922.jpeg (137.29 KiB) Viewed 3826 times

Return to “Bike Help”