Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1000A1 carb setup

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Mr Bump
100Club
100Club

Re: Z1000A1 carb setup

#16 PostAuthor: Mr Bump » Sun May 31, 2020 7:52 am

Morning all,

Thought I'd give the answer to this, now that I've found it. Last summer (after the last post in this thread) I did the following:

- new ignition advancer. Old one had slack springs. No difference.

- found one NOS genuine needle. Replaced all keyster needles with the genuine needles, three good used ones I already had plus the nos one. Slightly cleaner running, but not right.

Over the winter I took the carbs off again, examined the pilot jets and screws closely compared to the oem ones I'd kept. The screws are very close copies. The jets are not the same. The holes in the emulsion tube and the bore of the emulsion tube are slightly different sizes to the oem ones.

Put the carbs back together with the oem pilot jets and screws. Reset the balance of the carbs on the bench. Refitted them.

Went for a run yesterday, with the pilot screws on standard setting, not adjusted with the engine running, and the carbs not dynamically balanced. Runs a treat, no flat spot. Plugs show it's a bit lean but not dramatically so. I'll set the balance and adjust the pilots, then raise the needles if I need to.

Conclusion is that the keyster pilot jets were at fault. I'm not using keyster kits again and cannot recommend them to anyone else. A right load of hassle they've caused me.

Nice to have my bike running well at last. Not slow are they, even now.

Olly
'In your twenties you think you are immortal, in your thirties you hope you are immortal, in your forties you just hope it doesn't hurt too much'

Lemmy

warren3200gt
Hardcore
Hardcore

#17 PostAuthor: warren3200gt » Sun May 31, 2020 9:05 am

Glad you got it sorted. I've always found OEM the way to go or you will end up chasing an unknown.
PUM 488 June 2023
76 Z900A4, 77 Z650B1, 77 KZ650B1, 77 Z1000A1, 82 Z1000J2, ZRX1100R.

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#18 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Sun May 31, 2020 10:46 am

I've been using Keyster kits for years with no issues. That said, the OEM jets and needles are always preferable to aftermarket though.
http://www.airevalleyclassics.co.uk
10% discount code Z1OCTEN
Keyster rebuild kits & carburettor spares - airscrews, jets, needles, starter plungers & gaskets.
Also petrol/ethanol proof float bowl gaskets. IMD pistons preferred seller.

Mr Bump
100Club
100Club

#19 PostAuthor: Mr Bump » Sun May 31, 2020 1:14 pm

Ultim8pc wrote:I've been using Keyster kits for years with no issues. That said, the OEM jets and needles are always preferable to aftermarket though.

I don't doubt it. I think the problem with some aftermarket suppliers is that the quality control system isn't there so they can't consitently deliver quality bits. All Balls dirt bike parts seem similar - usually ok and good value, but sometimes something goes wrong.

Maybe I just got some duff kits, though I know I'm not alone in my view of keyster stuff.

Olly
'In your twenties you think you are immortal, in your thirties you hope you are immortal, in your forties you just hope it doesn't hurt too much'

Lemmy

Return to “Bike Help”