Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

C5 Ignition

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

chrisw1
100Club
100Club

C5 Ignition

#1 PostAuthor: chrisw1 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:05 pm

Hi ,,,, I have the chance to buy the C5 ignition system for my Z1B which is fitted with a DYNA

At $300 it seems pricey compared to a DYNA but the kit comes with coils so thats ok

I asked them what the advantages of the C5 are over the Dyna and this is the reply

" C5 uses optical trigger with 180 references per revolution (180 times more than Dyna), it has more efficient coils with far more voltage, and it's made in the USA. Plus multiple sparking has shown to provide 8-12% increase in rear wheel hp on dyno tests.This is a small basic ignition that has one "factory" type timing map (not the 4 map version we normally offer "

1) Far more voltage ..How is that helpful
2) 180 references per revolution ....... Is that an advantage ?
3) 8-12% increase in HP ....... surely a pipe dream ?

Your thoughts would be appreciated before I spend any cash

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

Re: C5 Ignition

#2 PostAuthor: Pigford » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:05 pm

As you say - cannot see that sort of gain in power - even the points ignition must burn most of the fuel?
Optical ignition is okay, but needs to be set in darkened surrounds usually - like the old Pirahna (Newtronics) systems.
Dyna is proven technology & works well.
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

chrisNI
Site Admin

#3 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:44 pm

chrisw1 wrote:Hi ,,,, I have the chance to buy the C5 ignition system for my Z1B which is fitted with a DYNA

At $300 it seems pricey compared to a DYNA but the kit comes with coils so thats ok

I assume I second hand as on their website the big Zed setup is $479 and with the pound being what it is that’s a good bit... even more if you add import duty, vat and fees

chrisw1
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: chrisw1 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:48 pm

chrisNI wrote:
chrisw1 wrote:Hi ,,,, I have the chance to buy the C5 ignition system for my Z1B which is fitted with a DYNA

I assume I second hand as on their website the big Zed setup is $479 and with the pound being what it is that’s a good bit... even more if you add import duty, vat and fees

No thats a new one , they are offering them at a discount if you do photo feedback

chrisNI
Site Admin

#5 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:52 pm

Still duty and vat would bump it up a good bit... :shock:

8 Valve Mark
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#6 PostAuthor: 8 Valve Mark » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:11 am

+1 as already mentioned chris ; also worth considering is the fact that electronic parts are generally not refunded after sale. .possibly worth looking closer to home.. good luck mark

Return to “Bike Help”