Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Measure bore diameter without strip-down - is it possible?

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

rickm
100Club
100Club

Measure bore diameter without strip-down - is it possible?

#1 PostAuthor: rickm » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:09 pm

Hi,

Is there a reliable and accurate way to measure cylinder bore diameter without stripping the motor?
I presume you'd have to somehow stick some clever measuring device through a spark plug hole?

Thanks
Rick
H2B GPZ900R

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Measure bore diameter without strip-down - is it possible?

#2 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:35 pm

If the pistons are clean enough you may be able to stick a camera down the plug hole to read any markings on the piston crown or you could CC the cylinder and subtract the combustion chamber volume to find the capacity.
Other than that there is no special tool that fits through the plug hole and the head will have to come off at the very least.

rickm
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: rickm » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:42 pm

Thanks for that.
I'm only asking because when I bought the bike (directly from Kipkawa) they said that they re-built the engine to standard capacity with standard pistons (NOS ?). However, a standard battery really struggles to turn it over and I've had to invest in a lithium iron one with much bigger CCA to get it to start consistently.
Guess I could do a compression check? (but then I'd have to buy a comp tester !)
H2B GPZ900R

Julian_Boolean
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#4 PostAuthor: Julian_Boolean » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:05 pm

The pistons could be tight in the bores, or you could have a shagged starter motor, my 1170 turns over much like a stock motor now it's run in.

Taking the head off isn't difficult btw.
An expanding collection of parts pretending to be a Z1100R and a Yamaha FZ750

ZedHead
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: ZedHead » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:48 pm

zed1015 wrote:If the pistons are clean enough you may be able to stick a camera down the plug hole to read any markings on the piston crown or you could CC the cylinder and subtract the combustion chamber volume to find the capacity.
Other than that there is no special tool that fits through the plug hole and the head will have to come off at the very least.

Potentially, you could fill the bore to the brim with oil with the piston at BTC before the compression stroke. Devise some method of capturing all the oil that is squeezed out of the plug hole and measure the capacity.

Use this to calculate the radius, given volume and stroke, Double it for diameter

https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculat ... linder.php

Good luck :D

Return to “Bike Help”