Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

z1a oil leak

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

ogre
100Club
100Club

z1a oil leak

#1 PostAuthor: ogre » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:45 am

hi all got bike out yesterday 1st time since newly rebuilt done about 25 miles since finishing it everything was ok bit erratic on idle but thought i would give it a run first.lack of power but didnt hammer it seemed smoother after about 15 miles.this was all last year anyway got a repro petrol tap total crap all the wrong way round reserve is stop etc goin to put original on after rebuildin it.i noticed a few drips of fresh oil from no3 exhaust collet not comin from head or tacho gear it did stop cant remember if i turned it over with my foot a few times before i started it.is it what i suspect a valve seal or poss summat else.
cheers ogre

ogre
100Club
100Club

Re: z1a oil leak

#2 PostAuthor: ogre » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:19 pm

sorry if it doesnt make much sense got waylaid at work.the reason i was going on about the fuel tap is the lever was stuck presume the crap o ring inside it had swelled took 10 mins to free off back and forth and no4 carb was leakin. so thought i had fixed that and took it for a run same again not bad after 10 miles then ran out of fuel after 20 miles must of been pi****g out when stopped at lights etc any way had to push it to petrol station i was b*****ksed.got home turned tap off had to put it away.after a couple of hours cud smell fuel in kitchen went into garage fuel all over the floor thought i'd killed our old senile cats(no such luck wife has moved them into my garage) with the fumes so THAT tap doesnt switch off now either.

BigZCas
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: BigZCas » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:10 pm

Petrol Leak.
Have you got the bike on the centre stand ?
Should cure leak from overflow pipes even it tap not shutting off :wink:
Past 5 Years
1974 UK Z1a, Candy Tone Brown/Orange
1976 KZ900a4, Diamond Dark Green
1978 KZ1000a2, Luminous Green
1976 KZ1000a1, Red
1972 GT750J, Candy Lavender

ogre
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: ogre » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:44 pm

yep on centre stand. when i bench set them up they seemed fine i kind of finished it last april and it has stood quite a while at work getting it registered etc. didnt take it out til october only did about 25miles then sat over winter.i kind of guessed i would av probs with that carb cos it has discoloured a bit even though not leaked over the winter.

Return to “Bike Help”