Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Original shock absorber restoration

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

tedsonthezed
100Club
100Club

Original shock absorber restoration

#1 PostAuthor: tedsonthezed » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:46 am

My recently purchased 73 Z1 still has the original shocks on. The platings a little worn, and the springs, although having been rechromed at some point, need replacing. Rather than buy repro items, I would prefer to get these items refurbished, with new springs. What are the chances????
You want how much?

london calling
Hardcore
Hardcore

#2 PostAuthor: london calling » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:48 pm

Speak to Rick Brett on 07970 120000 :wink:
Jack

GEZ635
100Club
100Club

shocks

#3 PostAuthor: GEZ635 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:22 pm

Ted, I have some beautifully restored springs available. Call me and I will run through the restoration process. Gerry

gez635@hotmail.com . I will email my number to you if you dont already have it.
Gez

ollie
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#4 PostAuthor: ollie » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:11 pm

its easy to do if you can compress the old springs as the top collet comes out easily ,then its just a matter of putting on a new set of springs and re installing the chrome cover and top collet ....job done
zedsrus:"i don't know man ,i just got here myself !!"

Garn 1
ZedHead
ZedHead

#5 PostAuthor: Garn 1 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:21 pm

Ted, sounds as so you are going to be right for chrome springs. So, cosmetically they are going to look the part. You will also needs to get the small adjusting thimbles chromed. Then there is the zinc plated washer that goes under the spring.

If the shock has "had it" there will be a place that will overhaul the shock and possibly covert it to a later double acting type. In the process you might get the actual shock cylinder plated.. (expensive!).

If you are dismantling yourself to fit springs and other items, there are a few items to watch.
    :arrow: Set adjustments to lightest setting.
    :arrow: Don't get the tops (alloy part) of the shocks muddled as the pin position are not usually interchangable and have been drilled on assembly.
    :arrow: Remove any existing swarf from drilled pin hole and clear from thread before re-assembly.
    :arrow: You will need a thin bladed 23 mm open-ended spanner to undo the lock-nut under the cap. Don't forget to re-tighten this lock-nut, on assembly.

There is a bit more to this as Ollie mentioned ... eg Compressing the spring for removal.

RegardZ.
Garn (Sydney) Z1, Z1A, Z1B and Z900-A4

ollie
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#6 PostAuthor: ollie » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:14 am

Thats right Garn, how are you doing fella ?
also forgot to mention if the dampers are leaking then its the bin i'm afraid,and make sure the damper rods are free of rust as this will damage the seal .
gerry knows what hes doing so you'll have no problems
zedsrus:"i don't know man ,i just got here myself !!"

bedlow1
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

!

#7 PostAuthor: bedlow1 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:18 am

I have refurbed quite a few set of UK spec shocks and i have a special tool for compressing them making disasably easy give me a shout if you want them undone. Looking at your shocks the other day you can tell that they have been nicely rechromed in the past and the pitted finish to the springs you are talking about often happen because is difficult for the metal finishers to access and work on. Overall yours look very good and dampers and seals look good too.
You could try Rob (Z1 repairs and spares) in the west country i know he had a supply of new old stock springs he got off Rick Brett, but he will probabbly want to do a whole refurb for you and not just sell nos springs. PM me if you want his number

The other problem with yours is that you have the USA reflector type shrouds which are plastic. To make yours mint your going to have to find someone who can do plastic chrome, prehaps one of our flock would be in the know on this one?
By the way you got yourself a lovely original Z1
Last edited by bedlow1 on Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now where did I leave my Keys!
1972 Z1 Euro Spec
1975 Z1B UK Bike

Z1_Kerry
100Club
100Club

#8 PostAuthor: Z1_Kerry » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:56 am

Getting the inner tube outers rechromed is a buggar but there are those that can open up the shocks and redo the inner workings which allows you to get the chrome work done. I've done a number shockies over the years and have gone to the trouble of doing "trickie dickie" remakes where one uses repops as donors to having new shafts machined and eyes refitted. But at the end of the day I'd get em fixed if you can and use whatever you can from later models or repop shockies to replace the grubby parts. Bedlow's on the money with the plastic tops. Chrome metal vacummising is not easy on used plastic but there was a fellow over here who had a process of coppering the plastic and using real chrome to replate the plastic. Yep, I had many a plastic part done this way and it's way better than the plastic chrome stuff. Another suggestion is to use a set of non-genuine shocks and when it's time to do the show and shine, use the originals for the day only. I do this with exhaust systems, seats etc. For my CBX (which I use as a weekender rider) I use a standard set of used pipes but for those club show and shines I fit the good set. Just a thought KP
KP

Return to “Bike Help”