Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

clean engine

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

PaulMceleney
Chunks

clean engine

#1 PostAuthor: PaulMceleney » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:50 pm

Whats the best way to clean a z900 a4 engine with out remove it from the frame any quick ways with good results how do you clean yours ?

Garry.L
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: clean engine

#2 PostAuthor: Garry.L » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:49 pm

There are no 'Quick' ways to clean an engine, otherwise every ones lump would be super clean.

Happy to tell you how I do them, but it takes time, effort and a lot of patience.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: Philippe » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:50 am

Hi Paul
as Garry mentioned there are no quick ways to clean an engine and certainly not when it's in the frame... there are many places you can't reach when it's in the frame. Mostly it's corroded and has dark spots.
The best way to clean it is: take it out, take it apart and clean one piece at the time with red and blue nylon brushes on a drill and for the very hard to reach places a dremel rotating brush. As far as the shiny alloy parts are concerned: polish them, degrease them and give them a clear coat specially developed for light alloys. When it's taken apart, you can replace the worn out timing chain and all the other parts related to the timing, use new gaskets, O-rings and oil seals. Mount it back together and put it back in the frame...
It's a drastic way to get a clean engine, I know, but that's how I do it and it stays rather clean for many years.
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

becker
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#4 PostAuthor: becker » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:26 am

As above, best results with engine out/apart.

But came across this recommendation on a Z FB page, it even had before/after photos - results were impressive - others in the thread also recommended this when engine is in .

"Putoline Chain & engine degreaser (expensive BUT it works) then a scotch pad, a tube of Autosol and a very large tub of elbow grease..... then get rubbing. Wrap the pad around a flat blade screwdriver to get into the fins."

Also a number of people recommended something called "Mothers" - a bit of an abrasive paste like Solvol, but also has some chemicals in it which help to eat away the grime. apparently will give good results without having to resort to wire wool.
When life hands you lemons, reach for the vodka.

Z1B (in Z1A colours), Z1000A1, ZRX1100 C4, Suzuki TS125J (being restored), Suzuki T125J (in boxes), Garelli Rekord MKII (awaiting restoration), most of a Garelli Rekord MKI

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:49 am

I use 'Mothers' mag and aluminium cleaner. Apply with a toothbrush, leave 10 minutes, rub again and wait. Repeat a few times then rub off.
Use a bit of steel wool also on stubborn areas.
http://www.airevalleyclassics.co.uk
10% discount code Z1OCTEN
Keyster rebuild kits & carburettor spares - airscrews, jets, needles, starter plungers & gaskets.
Also petrol/ethanol proof float bowl gaskets. IMD pistons preferred seller.

Garry.L
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: Garry.L » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:56 pm

becker wrote:
"Putoline Chain & engine degreaser (expensive BUT it works) then a scotch pad, a tube of Autosol and a very large tub of elbow grease..... then get rubbing. Wrap the pad around a flat blade screwdriver to get into the fins."

That would have been my post, but as said it takes lots of time and effort.

PaulMceleney
Chunks

#7 PostAuthor: PaulMceleney » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:11 pm

I had this bike 22years I do not want to restore it i like they way it has aged but with the faded chrome but would like to clean the engine I spent most of the day on the tank but will not get repainted I prefer the look that it has aged but kept in good condition how they use to look not to shiny I will see how I get on thanks

SVENLEATHER
100Club
100Club

#8 PostAuthor: SVENLEATHER » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:12 pm

Could not resist this. Talk to Bunny or get him to do it. He likes cleaning.

Garry.L
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: Garry.L » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:03 pm

paulmceleney wrote:I had this bike 22years I do not want to restore it i like they way it has aged but with the faded chrome but would like to clean the engine I spent most of the day on the tank but will not get repainted I prefer the look that it has aged but kept in good condition how they use to look not to shiny I will see how I get on thanks

I've blinged up a good few engines, however several years ago I picked up a very original 900A4. The engine had the usual white corrosion patches and the typical dull grey look. Given the bikes originality I didn't want to go too Bling so I just did the minimum to get it looking tidy without the 'Just Blasted' look, all done by hand.

As said though, even this dumbed down look took a lot of time and effort.

Z1019.jpg
Z1019.jpg (79.27 KiB) Viewed 4497 times

hartyb
100Club
100Club

#10 PostAuthor: hartyb » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:20 pm

My top tip is a little every day using the meatheads above

If you can get into the habit of going to the garage for 30 mins a night and doing a small amount its staggering just how much you can get done while waiting for dinner to be cooked in a couple of weeks

if you start at the top and work down and don't get carried away trying bits that look easy to clean you can keep things look good if you go for a ride as well
Z900A4, Z1000A1, Z1000ST E1,E2, Z1000Mk2 A3,Z1000H Z1R D1, z1000j3, Z1000P. Z900RS SE,
Z1300 A1,
GPZ1100 Unitrack, GPZ750E, GPZ 750Turbo, GPZ900r A1, A2, A6
ZZR1100 Purple and orange
KE175b, KE175F
along with some lesser makes :eek

PaulMceleney
Chunks

#11 PostAuthor: PaulMceleney » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:15 pm

That engine looks perfect , I have allready started on my , I seem to be getting good results using gunk spray and a brush my starting to look like that ,did try muck off spray and it was rubbish so took back to the shop ,will do a bit more tomorrow I will be happy if I can get my engine looking that good

PaulMceleney
Chunks

#12 PostAuthor: PaulMceleney » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:36 pm

Getting there
Attachments
20190330_132102.jpg

Return to “Bike Help”