Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Twin headlight fairing lights

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

scott
Junior Section leader

Twin headlight fairing lights

#1 PostAuthor: scott » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:03 am

Guys, i recently bought a twin headlight faring for a Gpz1100b1. Purchased from Skidmarx. Unfortunately Skidmarx no longer sell the twin Cibie lights or the light brackets. I need some help to find the correct headlights. I've found some from Demon Tweeks that i think will do the job, however they don't seem to have the screws attached to them that push through the faring and are then secured by wingnuts on the inside of the fairing. Can i purchase the headlights in the link below and simply add these screws? If so, where can i get these screws? If not, where can i get the headlight with the screws already attached? The headlights required are 5.75 inch in diameter.

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/cibie-5 ... ns-241961/

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Twin headlight fairing lights

#2 PostAuthor: z1bman » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:31 pm

scott
Junior Section leader

#3 PostAuthor: scott » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:42 pm

Paul, I saw those earlier but I don’t think all that black plastic surround will fit into the fairing.
Also the Wurth connectors we spoke about are the wrong ones apparently. Any other idea on the connector?

Someone in this club would have had one of these fairings with the correct lights.....surely someone has one still or could remember about them.

I gather that I need the headlight, the mounting plate with the adjuster to change beam angle. Also required, apparently is a rear mounting ring which has the 3 bolts fitted.

I wish I new what I was doing :lol:

Simonic
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: Simonic » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:41 pm

A shame the original kit is no longer available.
I had one of the twin cibie jobs fitted to my 1000j
'83 ZX1100 '81 Z1000ST, '04 GSX1400, '19 Dodge Challenger Hemi

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: Al » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:13 pm

I wont say what made me go looking for them but perhaps you could do something with these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WIPAC-S5538- ... SwJcZWeTsG

Cheaper glass too
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lancia-Beta- ... ctupt=true

AL
1981 J1

Taffus

#6 PostAuthor: Taffus » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:43 pm

The Skidmarx fairing used cibie headlights, They were a smaller size than a normal headlight. Try here
https://www.holden.co.uk/b/cibie

scott
Junior Section leader

#7 PostAuthor: scott » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:45 pm

Al, thanks for looking. I was pointed to the headlight today by someone at work. I think it would work. Pity there is not a picture of the rear. I’m wondering if I may need to open up the cut out of the fairing a bit to compensate for the bowl at the back.

scott
Junior Section leader

#8 PostAuthor: scott » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:54 pm

Thanks Taff, 5.75 inch is the correct size. Cibie, Lucas etc, any should do. I found some nice Cibie, flat glass, with side light, H4 bulb ones on Demon Tweeks website. Just need to work out if they will fit in to the bowls Al has put me on to. Changing the bulbs to LED hopefully. That might cure the generator current draw issue.

Taffus

#9 PostAuthor: Taffus » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:03 pm

you may need to fit normal bulbs for the mot, (depends on the tester) the key for the current draw is clean connectors throughout, use silicon grease to protect (I guess you know this ;) )

Taffus

#10 PostAuthor: Taffus » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:08 pm

scott wrote:Thanks Taff, 5.75 inch is the correct size. Cibie, Lucas etc, any should do. I found some nice Cibie, flat glass, with side light, H4 bulb ones on Demon Tweeks website. Just need to work out if they will fit in to the bowls Al has put me on to. Changing the bulbs to LED hopefully. That might cure the generator current draw issue.

The 2 skidmarx fairings I have had didn't have bowls

scott
Junior Section leader

#11 PostAuthor: scott » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:14 pm

I was wondering how I might fair with an LED bulb, MOT wise and general beam patter etc. Maybe just fit the normal bulb for MOT. It would be nice to get it right though, if possible.

scott
Junior Section leader

#12 PostAuthor: scott » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:23 pm

I know they don’t normally have bowls fitted. I think that’s my problem. I don’t know EXACTLY how the back of the original lights looked. All I know is that there are three screws poking through the fairing. These screws are attached to the back of the headlight somehow. There are wing nuts attached to these screws on the inside of the fairing. I need to know about the screws on the back of the headlight. I’ve been told it’s a rear mounting ring that was probably fitted that incorporated these screws. I need more information on the back of the headlight showing the fittings.

scott
Junior Section leader

#13 PostAuthor: scott » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:23 pm

I know they don’t normally have bowls fitted. I think that’s my problem. I don’t know EXACTLY how the back of the original lights looked. All I know is that there are three screws poking through the fairing. These screws are attached to the back of the headlight somehow. There are wing nuts attached to these screws on the inside of the fairing. I need to know about the screws on the back of the headlight. I’ve been told it’s a rear mounting ring that was probably fitted that incorporated these screws. I need more information on the back of the headlight showing the fittings.

Taffus

#14 PostAuthor: Taffus » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:23 pm

same guy passed one year failed it the next (that was the tiger)

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#15 PostAuthor: Al » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:44 pm

Gonna cost you £24 to find out. If you dont cut it send it back or put back on ebay priced to go.
Was thinking you could take it apart. Screw, glue / bond (tiger seal, sikaflex, gorilla glue WHY?) the black plastic part to the back of the seat in the fairing. The mounting screws go through the seat and the bezel ring and tabs holds the glass out in front. Maybe with blah blah and a following wind you may find a way.
Failing that, cut the back of the plastic bowl off immediately behind the circular mounting plate and the seat in the fairing will conceal the edge. Screw / glue/ bond the mounting plate at the front and assemble as would appear normal procedure. Problem there might be the width of the 'ears' as they appear to be pretty wide.

AL
1981 J1

Return to “Bike Help”