Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

GPZ1000RX Alternator

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

HowieD
100Club
100Club

GPZ1000RX Alternator

#1 PostAuthor: HowieD » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:07 pm

Hello,

Anyone know where I could find help with an Alternator issue.

I'm helping with overhaul and rewire of a Magnum 3 with a GPZ1000RX Motor. The trouble seems to the Alternator: It has an Integrated Circuit R/R so there are two wires only - Dark Red and Black.

With the wires connected the battery goes flat overnight

I didn't have a wiring diagram at first so assumed there were positive (Dark Red) and Earth (Black). With the Black connected to the Battery earth post there is a current flow of 2.4A using a clamp Meter.

I did some research and found a diagram with more detail that shows the Alternator case is the earth and the two wires out are separate positive feeds. So I have connected them both to the Battery Positive. With the motor running I connected the Dark Red cable to the Battery Positive and there was very little current flow and the battery voltage didn't rise. Connected them both and achieved a steady 13.9V Battery at 3000RPM. Disconnect either lead and the alternator output stopped. Connected again and the Dark Red had 12A but the Black lead -4A so power was running backwards to the Alternator from the Battery Positive.

The fully charged Battery dropped to 7.8 Volts after a few hours so it's not fixed by connecting the wires differently.

So I'm looking for help in correctly wiring up and any tests i can do to see if the is really a fault with the Alternator or the IC R/R

thanks in advance

Howie
CD185, Maggot, Z1-R, Horace, Monster 620ie

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: GPZ1000RX Alternator

#2 PostAuthor: z1bman » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:18 pm

the two wires out of the alternator 1 is a permanent live connected to white wire from the fuse box the other is a switched live from the ignition switch / brown wire

HowieD
100Club
100Club

Re: GPZ1000RX Alternator

#3 PostAuthor: HowieD » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:10 pm

Thanks - I can work out where to connect up after the Main Relay.

Not a conventional wiring loom.
CD185, Maggot, Z1-R, Horace, Monster 620ie

Return to “Bike Help”