Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Electrics!!

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

FOZ1A
100Club
100Club

Electrics!!

#1 PostAuthor: FOZ1A » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:08 pm

Evening all! Last year I rigged up basic idiot lights, simple system with 3 led’s all earthed and feeds from neutral, oil and high beam. Worked but looked untidy, so I bought a micro led unit, but for the life of me I cannot wire it in, attached is a diagram hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Also is there supposed to be 12 volts from oil/neutral feeds, the seller tells me that oil and neutral are negative feeds, but after 3 hours i have given up!!

foz
Attachments
A1F84372-291A-419A-AB67-0574BB072A6E.jpeg
Rickman CR1000, Harley Roadking

ZedHead
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Electrics!!

#2 PostAuthor: ZedHead » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:27 pm

What bike is it going on?

FOZ1A
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: FOZ1A » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:48 pm

It a Rickman z1075 with a custom loom.

Foz

ZedHead
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: ZedHead » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:58 pm

I have looked at a standard Z1000 wiring diagram and

The LH Indicator, RH Indicator and High Beam lights are all permanently neg earthed from a common Yellow/Black wire. Switched Positive feeds are via Green, Grey and Black/Orange respectively.

The Oil pressure switch and Neutral lights are fed from the bike main switched 12v line via a common brown wire. A Blue/Orange wire goes to the Oil Pressure switch, which earth to the engine casings until oil pressure forces it to break contact.

A Green/Orange wire feeds to Neutral switch which only grounds to complete the circuit only when in Neutral.

Your loom colour coding maybe different but if you use a meter with the negative connected to battery earth you should be able to find the bikes common switched 12v feed to the OIl Pressure and Neutral lights. This goes to the Red wire of the Micro LED indicator. The other loom wires going to these to lights go to the Black and Green wires of the LED Unit.

The rest of the LED, should wire up as you have them now.

needaz1100r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#5 PostAuthor: needaz1100r » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:31 am

FOZ1A wrote:It a Rickman z1075 with a custom loom.

Foz

You should have asked me when I was there, I could have sussed it with you.
Cheers,

Mark.

needaz1100r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#6 PostAuthor: needaz1100r » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:55 am

FOZ1A wrote:It a Rickman z1075 with a custom loom.

Foz

You should have asked me when I was there, I could have sussed it with you.
FOZ1A wrote:Evening all! Last year I rigged up basic idiot lights, simple system with 3 led’s all earthed and feeds from neutral, oil and high beam. Worked but looked untidy, so I bought a micro led unit, but for the life of me I cannot wire it in, attached is a diagram hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Also is there supposed to be 12 volts from oil/neutral feeds, the seller tells me that oil and neutral are negative feeds, but after 3 hours i have given up!!

foz

Maybe some description of the terminology will help you, so starting from basics (which may be boring and condescending, sorry)...

To operate a bulb there needs to be current flowing through it.
To make current flow there needs to be voltage connected.
On a motorbike, the voltage is supplied by the battery.
Current flows through the wires, the frame and the battery.
If you connect the + of the battery to a bulb, the other side of the bulb to the frame, and the frame to the - of the battery you create a circuit and current flows and lights the bulb. The route of that current is called the circuit.
Simple, but pretty useless as the bulb is always on, so we need to switch it to either give us a message (eg oil light) or at our discretion (headlamp).
From the description of the circuit above, you will see that if you break the circuit anywhere, the bulb will go out as current cannot flow.
Two descriptions have been used...permanent live and permanent neutral.
This refers to where in the circuit the break is put (we will use switches to create the break).
On the headlight, you connect the bulb to neutral permanently, but connect the + from the battery to the other side of the bulb via a switch, that's called switched live.
On an oil switch (or neutral) one side of the switch is always connected to neutral, via it's body where it screws into the motor (the motor is connected to the frame and - on the battery) - it only has one wire. You connect battery + to the bulb and the other side of the bulb to the oil switch which makes a connection to neutral until there is oil pressure. That is called switched neutral, or as your seller describes "negative feed", which is actually bollocks.
Because of the construction of neutral and oil pressure switches kn our bikes you cannot wire the idiot bulbs for those any other way (without relays, but we won't go there just yet).

If you understand that it makes what you need to do with your LED unit easier to understand. Call me if you want to.
Cheers,

Mark.

FOZ1A
100Club
100Club

#7 PostAuthor: FOZ1A » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:37 pm

Sorted!!

Thanks your input Mark and Dave, much appreciated. Fortunately when Ferret, yes him of straight hair and curly teeth, did the loom, he used original Kawasaki wiring colours, so once I found the brown, the rest fell into place.

Foz
Attachments
78791921-3EAE-467E-9AC3-E2E09224D809.jpeg

ZedHead
Hardcore
Hardcore

#8 PostAuthor: ZedHead » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:29 am

That is good news. looking forward to seeing it mounted

needaz1100r
ZedHead