Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

I need as new timing strobe - recommendations?

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

I need as new timing strobe - recommendations?

#1 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:18 pm

My 35 year old timing strobe has finally given up and I need a new one.
I'm looking at a Gunson one. Anyone have any recommendations? It's not going to get masses of use.
CHeers
http://www.airevalleyclassics.co.uk
10% discount code Z1OCTEN
Keyster rebuild kits & carburettor spares - airscrews, jets, needles, starter plungers & gaskets.
Also petrol/ethanol proof float bowl gaskets. IMD pistons preferred seller.

warren3200gt
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: I need as new timing strobe - recommendations?

#2 PostAuthor: warren3200gt » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:46 pm

Not sure it'll make too much difference Nigel, they all seem to be ok. Just remember to use a seperate battery to power it though, I didn,t and it burnt out the rectifier. :oops: worked fine when powered by a spare car battery.
PUM 488 June 2023
76 Z900A4, 77 Z650B1, 77 KZ650B1, 77 Z1000A1, 82 Z1000J2, ZRX1100R.

johny brando
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: johny brando » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:12 am

Ultim8pc wrote:My 35 year old timing strobe has finally given up and I need a new one.
I'm looking at a Gunson one. Anyone have any recommendations? It's not going to get masses of use.
CHeers

I had brilliant one many years ago ( mid 70's ) but when I emigrated to Australia some time later it went missing during it's trip here - some F@#$%^g Customs worker or similar decided they needed it & other items ..more than I did ! I recall it was then an expensive unit made by a Company called "Sun" & it had the ability of variable degree settings, which then was rare ...so you could mess about & set your timing degrees fully advanced... to exactly what ever you wanted by just setting the degree reader dial on the strobe itself... to say 37 degrees fully advanced & all you had to do was run up the motor to just above the fully advanced revs point & then adjust your timing back plate as usual until until the corrosponding 2 marks lined up & lock it off there ...that was it 37 degrees BTC ...or whatever degrees you wanted. This is of course assuming that your OEM Adv & Ret'd marks themselves are accurately & correct stamped... which 99% of people take as Gospel ....to be 100% accurate of course.......you'd have to, find "True TDC" first by using a Piston Stopper and a degree disc , then you could manually check your Adv & Rt'd unit marks are accurately stamped & spot on ( likely not as = mass produced items ) then alter them accordingly ....then use the Strobe knowing it's effectively dialled in and therefor truely accurate....'sort of defeats the object I know' ..haha . Now we are into the realms of Blue Printing , where we all end up OCD & Anal !!!!!!
Cheers , Johny B.

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: z1bman » Fri May 03, 2019 6:50 pm

Return to “Bike Help”