Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

zh efi

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

rynner
Regular Poster

zh efi

#1 PostAuthor: rynner » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:57 am

please no ribbing about this,i have an old h efi which i rescued from our local scrap man, i am planning to start after 10+ years,any tips are welcome,in particular is how to get the bleedin' battery out.i can just see it hidden under the air filter but a bit of advice on the best plan of attack would be welcome,
i will be fitting a new batt,fluids etc.as far as i know the bike was laid up after a sudden attack of severe camchain noise so hopefully,as i am led to believe,it is most likely a broken front guide(?).
i will be taking a few pics to put up when i get started next week.
i have discovered that there is a supplement to the z manual for the efi h & g,a pointer to where this can be obtained would be most welkome,
atb,
Ryn

chrisu

Re: zh efi

#2 PostAuthor: chrisu » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:27 pm

I’ve got it but I’m not back in the uk until end of the month. I have sent it to others so maybe someone else can send you the pdf

rynner
Regular Poster

#3 PostAuthor: rynner » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:53 pm

hi, that would be great,i have plenty to go on with so no great rush,from looking it seems that a lot of bits have to be removed to get to the batt,i have read on here that a marginal\low battery can damage the module so no jump leads or suchlike.
atb
ryn

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: Philippe » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:16 pm

Hi rynner
I can only advise you to disassemble the engine completely. It's not that difficult. When the camchain is making noise, just change everything (chain, guides, gears, rubbers,tensioner,...). I know it costs a lot of money but you'll be rewarded with a smooth running engine. Take in account that all the parts are old and that if you don't change them now, you'll have to do it in the near future. Don't forget that the valves of an H are 1 mm bigger in diameter compared to those of the other engines. Change all the gaskets, O-rings and oil seals. Use a good quality of gaskets and do use viton valve stem seals.
Keep in mind that the electronic parts are rare so try to save as much of them as possible. Check them and if they don't perform as described try to open them in a non destructive way and clean them.

I wish I had a Z1000H to restore... unfortunately I'm still searching.
Perhaps sometime in the future, who knows...
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

weaver
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#5 PostAuthor: weaver » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:47 pm

if he cant get the battery out I don't think he will want to tackle an engine rebuild. :)

chrisu

#6 PostAuthor: chrisu » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:21 am

rynner wrote:please no ribbing about this,i have an old h efi which i rescued from our local scrap man, i am planning to start after 10+ years,any tips are welcome,in particular is how to get the bleedin' battery out.i can just see it hidden under the air filter but a bit of advice on the best plan of attack would be welcome,
i will be fitting a new batt,fluids etc.as far as i know the bike was laid up after a sudden attack of severe camchain noise so hopefully,as i am led to believe,it is most likely a broken front guide(?).
i will be taking a few pics to put up when i get started next week.
i have discovered that there is a supplement to the z manual for the efi h & g,a pointer to where this can be obtained would be most welkome,
atb,
Ryn

Oh and that’s not the air filter it’s the airflow meter

Suggest you wait until you get the fi guide before continuing

chrisNI
Site Admin

#7 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:24 am

Good luck with it anyway you’re lucky to get a relatively complete one ttiw :D :)

The scrap man...? :shock:

rynner
Regular Poster

#8 PostAuthor: rynner » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:07 pm

i am sure i will be ok with the old lump,i have taken a couple of pics,blinkin great big air flow meter compared to my diesel van,i am not in any hurry as according to a bit of research these were only made march/april 1980 so even tho the v5 says registered 81 i'm planning to take it out on her 40th t&t exempt birthday
Attachments
IMG_20190413_135839_hdr.jpg
IMG_20190413_135708_hdr.jpg
Last edited by rynner on Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rynner
Regular Poster

#9 PostAuthor: rynner » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:26 pm

it was in the back of the scrappy's van on the way to be weighed in,when i first got them i didnt realise how the zeds have attracted such a big following,my original plan was to stick the h motor into the rough rickman chassis but as i cleaned all the grime and such away it turns out that its all powder coated,wheels brackets the lot,no rust or rot just wear and tear,well pleased,atb
Ryn
Attachments
IMG_20190413_141304_hdr.jpg
IMG_20190413_140935_hdr.jpg

rynner
Regular Poster

#10 PostAuthor: rynner » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:03 pm

the cr rolling chassis is just asking for a new lump.as i wrote, i gave up on the h motor,i am thinking of maybe a triumph,the gpz copy motor cleaned back to the ally might look smart.
anyway,regarding my h,if anybody has the efi supplement or suchlike,i would be appreciative.it was registered '81 in the uk but manufactured 80(april?) so any tips on how to get the dating for free tax etc would also be welcome.
the 650f in the pic is all up and running,as it is an 84 and the last of the z650s it seems strange that the old 70's bikes seem to go for more.maybe the awful eurostyling and cv carbs combined with probabally the worst z paint scheme ever help.
all the best,ryn

8 Valve Mark
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#11 PostAuthor: 8 Valve Mark » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:36 pm

hi rynner, el presidente (jerry) should be OK for any dating issues, give him an email. i passed my test in oct81 n bought a new H (50/50 with the old man)? which although an 81 registered bike was manufactured in 1980. not an issue then but accuracy NOW is probably more relevant, you should have no trouble if the bike isn't a mongrel.. they are also increasing in value; lessening in availability and increasingly in demand, as a result; if you need a factory manual covering the H? let me know. m

chrisu

#12 PostAuthor: chrisu » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:21 pm

rynner wrote:the cr rolling chassis is just asking for a new lump.as i wrote, i gave up on the h motor,i am thinking of maybe a triumph,the gpz copy motor cleaned back to the ally might look smart.
anyway,regarding my h,if anybody has the efi supplement or suchlike,i would be appreciative.it was registered '81 in the uk but manufactured 80(april?) so any tips on how to get the dating for free tax etc would also be welcome.
the 650f in the pic is all up and running,as it is an 84 and the last of the z650s it seems strange that the old 70's bikes seem to go for more.maybe the awful eurostyling and cv carbs combined with probabally the worst z paint scheme ever help.
all the best,ryn

As I said pm me your email address and i'll forward a copy onto you.

chrisu

#13 PostAuthor: chrisu » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:23 pm

i think your nearest H owner is in Bristol.................

chrisu

#14 PostAuthor: chrisu » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:52 am

i've mailed it to you.

rynner
Regular Poster

#15 PostAuthor: rynner » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:27 pm

recieved,
perfect and thanks for sending it,
all the best.
ryn