Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Running in - rebore and new pistons

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Blackseven
100Club
100Club

Running in - rebore and new pistons

#1 PostAuthor: Blackseven » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:58 pm

I'm sure it is covered somewhere in the genuine manual but like a lot of things I'm having trouble finding it.

I've had a 0.5mm rebore and new IMD pistons and rings fitted and have just started running in on mineral oil.

My questions are how many miles are required (500?) and after this I assume I just need to re-torque the head, re-check the valve clearances and then change the filter and oil to semi-synthetic? Anything else I've forgotten?

Thanks

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Running in - rebore and new pistons

#2 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:36 pm

Build engine.
Start it , get it hot. cool overnight and re-torque head.
Use whatever oil in the engine you normally use, mineral or semi.
Don't baby the engine, just run it as normal without going daft and don't sit at a steady revs or speeds for any length of time.
Use engine braking to push the rings into the bores for a better long term seal.
The tootling around for 500 miles under whatever revs thing is mostly old school cobblers reserved for old brit iron and you'll end up with glazed bores if you go too steady.
The first 20 mins and 20 miles of riding sets the baseline for how well the motor will perform in the future.
You can re-torque the head at any miles you like when checking the shims but you'll probably find it didn't need it after the first overnight one.

Blackseven
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: Blackseven » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:11 pm

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

scott
Junior Section leader

#4 PostAuthor: scott » Thu May 02, 2019 12:17 pm

I plodded on mine and glazed the bores....lesson learnt. When it was rebored to 1075 i made sure not to hang about and get it up and down the revs all the time, with plenty of engine breaking. I tried to keep off long A roads and motorways. After 50 miles i rode it like i stole it :lol: ......goes really well now.

Return to “Bike Help”