Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

APE Cam Chain Adjuster

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Stinkfinger
Regular Poster

APE Cam Chain Adjuster

#1 PostAuthor: Stinkfinger » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:24 am

Hello,
can anyone offer any advice on the adjustment procedure when fitting a manual adjuster on a Z1B?
Regards
Stinky

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: APE Cam Chain Adjuster

#2 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:47 am

Several ways to do this but the easiest for initial install is to first adjust the chain tension with the oem semi auto tensioner then set crank at TDC number one cyl and remove the tensioner without loosening the locking bolt.
Now measure the plunger distance on the oem tensioner and set the APE one to the same length and fit.

Coose
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: APE Cam Chain Adjuster

#3 PostAuthor: Coose » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:29 am

I set mine on my J whilst the engine is warm as the stock tensioner will extend to the slackest point anyway. From my original post: -

"Anyway, so that I don’t become obsessed with camchain tension I spent a bit of time tonight checking it when cold having set it when hot last night. Resetting it cold was maybe two flats further out on the bolt, which is quite a coarse pitch. So, I then spent a bit of time setting it whilst warm and running at a constant speed (about 1500-2000rpm), where I got it to a point where you could feel the chain running against the guide through the tensioner bolt, but if you rocked the bolt gently you didn’t feel it. That’ll do for me!"

Thread here: -

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=43226&hilit=Tensioner

Return to “Bike Help”