Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1000R Paintwork

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

scott
Junior Section leader

Re: Z1000R Paintwork

#16 PostAuthor: scott » Fri May 10, 2019 1:55 pm

Ok, here goes. I found out that the one fucked tank I have is a Gpz 1100B1 tank. It has a round threaded fuel tap hole and also a breather connection underneath and also the fuel sensor underneath.
Here are the photos of the other tank. Questions:
A/ What bike is it for?
B/ What the hell is the grey shite in the tank?......I think it's the dreaded sealer.
C/ Two weird lumps underneath tank? Are theses welds? Does it look like a repair?

[url=http://s280.photobucket.com/user/scottjstephens/media/Image-47_zpsgm7zlgfg.jpeg.html]Image[/url

Anyone have a good tank for sale??]

rickm
100Club
100Club

#17 PostAuthor: rickm » Fri May 10, 2019 2:14 pm

Looks like a J tank (or less likely from a 1000R).
Like you say, the fuel injection models have the extra breather connection, plus the fuel outlet is on the right. Not sure about the added welds, but looks nastily like the dreaded sealer inside !
H2B GPZ900R

scott
Junior Section leader

#18 PostAuthor: scott » Fri May 10, 2019 2:34 pm

How do I remove the dreaded sealer? If the tank is good when the sealer is removed it could be useable if it doesn’t leak.

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#19 PostAuthor: Al » Fri May 10, 2019 5:19 pm

I have two J tanks which have round holes for the sender unit. I have an 1100R tank with an oval one which looks the same as the one pictured!!!
The grey stuff in the tank looks just like POR15. The 'matches' poking through are mig welds. The two small repairs aren't covering anything up they would have been holes from damage or corrosion.
There are numbers stamped on the tank. On the baseplate of the locator 'peg'. Haven't quite figured out how to decipher them but each tank as supplied, has a different code if you look at CMSNL!!!

Been back to work today;............ The simple answer, no there is no simple answer......... the answer i got was that; white undercoat would only be necessary if the primer were not white. If you use white primer or tint a dark primer, you should be able to paint a translucent top coat on without the need to 'back-light' it.
Hope that makes sense :crnk

AL
1981 J1

scott
Junior Section leader

#20 PostAuthor: scott » Fri May 10, 2019 6:22 pm

Everything makes sense now Al, well maybe. :lol: How do I get rid of POR15???

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#21 PostAuthor: Al » Fri May 10, 2019 6:54 pm

I did the tank on the J with POR15 about three years ago. Not had a single problem with it. Lucky, maybe. Just done the other tank as i was so impressed with it. Is it leaking? But to answer the question; i dont know how or even if you can get rid of POR15. It is essentially Hammerite!!
Frost Auto Restoration sell the stuff as do others so a call there may reveal something!
AL
1981 J1

tlc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#22 PostAuthor: tlc » Sat May 11, 2019 5:53 am

Scott.
I’ve had my last 2 tanks dipped in order to completely clean them inside and out. Paul Benton organised it for me.
Personally I would rather do this and have patches let in where required than sealing the tank.
Asphalt Cowboy Z1100R, 1981 Z1000J

scott
Junior Section leader

#23 PostAuthor: scott » Sat May 11, 2019 11:12 am

Apparently Acetone will remove POR15. I’ll try that first. If it removes the POR15, at least I’ll know if it leaks.

Return to “Bike Help”