Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Dyna S ignition on Z1000a1 - gremlin

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Tonto
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Dyna S ignition on Z1000a1 - gremlin

#1 PostAuthor: Tonto » Thu May 02, 2019 2:16 pm

hi, just fitted a new Dyna S2 Ignition system to my Z1000a1 resto, all went well until I came to try the "light test" to confirm firing and my light stays on all the time, irrespective of where the pick up / bobbin is on the timimg cam.
Its installed as per instructions and "Youtube idiot guide" (ideal for me -as there's a KZ1000 examplar), all wiring and connections are good and I've strong volts on power lead - but my Dyna guide says it must be a wiring faults causing my test light to stay on. Im totally stumped and cant see anything obvious :mad :oops:
I assume Ive got my test light set up wrong - but was advised to run my test light between negative terminal on my battery and the top post on my coil.
Has anyone had similar issues or can throw some light on it :lol:

Cheers Tim
"Better to remain silent and be thought an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove any doubt" - Abraham Lincoln
Z900A4 / Hodna CBXZ / Ducati Diavel / H1F 500 Mongrel / CBXZ Project / RD400 project

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Dyna S ignition on Z1000a1 - gremlin

#2 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Thu May 02, 2019 2:43 pm

Never bothered with the light test but sounds like you have the light either connected to a permanent live or it's the fact that the coils are powered up all the time with a dyna.
Just hook up the dyna, static time it and then fire it up.
Easy way to see if it's sparking without starting is to simply pull a plug and rotate the rotor magnet past the appropriate pick up.

Tonto
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: Dyna S ignition on Z1000a1 - gremlin

#3 PostAuthor: Tonto » Fri May 03, 2019 3:50 pm

Rob, thanks - think i'll ditch my light test and go as you suggest.
Cheers Tim
"Better to remain silent and be thought an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove any doubt" - Abraham Lincoln
Z900A4 / Hodna CBXZ / Ducati Diavel / H1F 500 Mongrel / CBXZ Project / RD400 project

Return to “Bike Help”