Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

fuel tank - holes and rust

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

needaz1100r
ZedHead
ZedHead

Re: fuel tank - holes and rust

#16 PostAuthor: needaz1100r » Sat May 04, 2019 8:24 pm

Cheers,

Mark.

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#17 PostAuthor: Philippe » Sun May 05, 2019 3:47 am

Hi Moizeau
get a "new"tank, repairing yours is asking for trouble. The ST tank is fairly easy to find.
The fuel tank of an ST only fits to an ST. You can put another tank on your frame but it must be adapted.
If you're a PUM have a look at the "King's lineage" topic "Differences between Z1000ST and MK2 " things will become clear.
Finding a fuel tank for an ST on "Le bon coin" is not that difficult. I can allso recommend "Ebay-kleinanzeigen" in Germany or "Bike-Teile" in Germany. Most of the Germans understand English, so go for it.
When ordering an ST fuel tank, ask for pictures of the bottom and make sure it has a hole for a fuel level sender in it. Exept for the Z1R, no other Z type of that era had a fuel level sender.
If you want to put a liner in the tank use the Restom kit. I've used it several times and it's good if applied correctly!
If you want to remove rust from the inside of the tank, use oxalic acid 10%. It's a product used by bee keepers. Put it in the tank and leave it there for a few days. Shake the tank a few times a day. After a few days the rust is gone and you can apply the Restom kit.
Good luck!
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

gpjes
100Club
100Club

#18 PostAuthor: gpjes » Sun May 05, 2019 7:20 am

compo z1r wrote:the body work on my r is all brand new at a cost of well over 1k but it was all diffo shades so had to b painted even though it was brand new :shock:

IMG_1460.JPG

That's a good looking Z1R Sir, I need to get my front M/guard and fairing redone, worries me about shades :eek
More Smiles Per Mile

moizeau
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#19 PostAuthor: moizeau » Sun May 05, 2019 8:55 am

Thanks very much Philippe for that info and guidance. I'll have a look at those other sites. More sources the better. Is there any way to find out what colour the bike was when it came of the factory? My CG is the old style at the moment, with minimal information. It doesn't even state the engine number, which I just checked, and it seems to be an E1 engine in an E2 frame. I have a lot to learn about this bike. Are the Clymer manuals any good, they're the only ones I can find? I shall join the club and then I'll have a good read through the other, very valuable, information on offer.
Thanks again to everyone for your input.
Pete

Return to “Bike Help”