Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

fuel tank - holes and rust

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

moizeau
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

fuel tank - holes and rust

#1 PostAuthor: moizeau » Sat May 04, 2019 5:32 pm

I've got a couple of rust holes in the tank.
PICT0117.JPG
PICT0116.JPG
PICT0118.JPG

I've been told that 'Quiksteel' can repair these if the metal around them is prepared correctly.
Is this true or is there a better method or is it past it?
My plan was to repair the holes then put a resin in the tank. Which resins are best?
I need to clean the inside of the tank due to loose rust etc. prior to repair and resin and was thinking of using diluted Hydrochloric / Muriatic Acid followed be baking soda to neutralise it.
Are my plans feasible or am I relieving myself facing an oncoming gale?
Thanks very much in advance for any suggestions / corrections.
Pete

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: fuel tank - holes and rust

#2 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Sat May 04, 2019 5:53 pm

Any sort of chemical metal is a bodge and WILL fail sooner or later.
Probably sooner.
The only fix is by a skilled welder.
Oxy/acet or Tig is the only way to go.
If repaired correctly any sort of tank liner will not be needed and I personally avoid it like the plague.

weaver
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#3 PostAuthor: weaver » Sat May 04, 2019 6:03 pm

I would find a better tank,as zed1015 says anything short of a proper repair is asking for trouble

moizeau
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#4 PostAuthor: moizeau » Sat May 04, 2019 6:14 pm

Thanks chaps.
Short term bodge it is then, better than balancing a lawnmower tank between you knees to test it on the garden, and start the hunt for a tank. I've seen a couple on 'Le Bon Coin' that were cheap because they have been 'artistically enhanced', but they're not off an ST, do any of the other Z tanks fit? Until I can find a proper one, a solid wrong one would be better than mine. The bike needs a thorough going over before it touches the road.
Thanks again for the advice.
Pete

needaz1100r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#5 PostAuthor: needaz1100r » Sat May 04, 2019 6:51 pm

moizeau wrote:I've got a couple of rust holes in the tank.
PICT0117.JPGPICT0116.JPGPICT0118.JPG
I've been told that 'Quiksteel' can repair these if the metal around them is prepared correctly.
Is this true or is there a better method or is it past it?
My plan was to repair the holes then put a resin in the tank. Which resins are best?
I need to clean the inside of the tank due to loose rust etc. prior to repair and resin and was thinking of using diluted Hydrochloric / Muriatic Acid followed be baking soda to neutralise it.
Are my plans feasible or am I relieving myself facing an oncoming gale?
Thanks very much in advance for any suggestions / corrections.

The biggest concern is that where the rust has come through and formed a hole is the tip of the iceberg and the surrounding metal is at the "very nearly a hole" stage, This makes a repair very difficult as you need to attach your repair, whatever that is, be it chemical metal, or welded sections, to good metal. Even if you do that around the holes you do not know if there is another part of the tank that will very soon go the same way. A good liner should cure that, and they do work, BUT it is a process that needs the instructions followed absolutely religiously to the exact letter, which, when it comes to how clean, dry etc the inside of the tank is, is very difficult, nigh on impossible to be certain of.
Cheers,

Mark.

neilbarrett
ZedHead
ZedHead

#6 PostAuthor: neilbarrett » Sat May 04, 2019 7:08 pm

id look for a better one for deffo

moizeau
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#7 PostAuthor: moizeau » Sat May 04, 2019 7:31 pm

Mark, Neil, thanks. I am concerned also with the iceberg theory. I think it needs a new one but in the meantime if it's buggered then no harm giving it a fine sand blast, that'll show me how far it's gone. Then if it is knackered I can bodge it to do the tests on the bike whilst searching for another.
On a different note, learnt something today. Always thought the cross head screws were bad quality? Thanks to surfing through previous post on here I've learned that I was using the wrong screwdriver. No wonder after market people have made a fortune selling allen head bolts!
Pete

compo z1r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#8 PostAuthor: compo z1r » Sat May 04, 2019 7:39 pm

moizeau wrote:Thanks chaps.
Short term bodge it is then, better than balancing a lawnmower tank between you knees to test it on the garden, and start the hunt for a tank. I've seen a couple on 'Le Bon Coin' that were cheap because they have been 'artistically enhanced', but they're not off an ST, do any of the other Z tanks fit? Until I can find a proper one, a solid wrong one would be better than mine. The bike needs a thorough going over before it touches the road.
Thanks again for the advice.

easy one here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tank-Genuine ... 4902.l9144
THE ORIGINAL TARMAC TERRORIST

Z1000S !! Z1R Z810 [ project ] FZR 1000 RU KTM SXF 250 / 08 R6 and my dog zak.???

Z1OC # 886 till 2026

moizeau
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#9 PostAuthor: moizeau » Sat May 04, 2019 7:42 pm

Cheers but that's more than I paid for the bike! Oh and it's the wrong colour :D
Pete

compo z1r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#10 PostAuthor: compo z1r » Sat May 04, 2019 7:44 pm

moizeau wrote:Cheers but that's more than I paid for the bike!

yep but the days of budget zeds have long gone :D

Z1000S !! Z1R Z810 [ project ] FZR 1000 RU KTM SXF 250 / 08 R6 and my dog zak.???

Z1OC # 886 till 2026

compo z1r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#11 PostAuthor: compo z1r » Sat May 04, 2019 7:48 pm

the body work on my r is all brand new at a cost of well over 1k but it was all diffo shades so had to b painted even though it was brand new :shock:

IMG_1460.JPG

Z1OC # 886 till 2026

moizeau
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#12 PostAuthor: moizeau » Sat May 04, 2019 7:56 pm

That's lovely, not looking for mint, just want to get it operational and enjoy it for the moment, the prettiness, I hope, will come later.
Pete

compo z1r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#13 PostAuthor: compo z1r » Sat May 04, 2019 7:58 pm

moizeau wrote:That's lovely, not looking for mint, just want to get it operational and enjoy it for the moment, the prettiness, I hope, will come later.

cheaper one from dk's dents no holes but need paint

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-Z10 ... Sw-R5cg97g

Z1OC # 886 till 2026

gpjes
100Club
100Club

#14 PostAuthor: gpjes » Sat May 04, 2019 8:08 pm

D&K have one, same model as yours and ahem mine, I woulndn't bother with yours trying to bodge, s/h spend time and money on a good quality liner don't cut corners, you'll have a tank that internally would be bulletproof against todays crap quality fuel, must get the shite out of 1R tank this hol, Rufforth windy this morning.
More Smiles Per Mile

moizeau
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#15 PostAuthor: moizeau » Sat May 04, 2019 8:23 pm

D&K's, that brings back memories, I remember going there about 30 years ago when they first set up as a breakers. I'm a bit farther away from there now. I will need to get another tank.
Pete

Return to “Bike Help”