Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z thou a1 master cylinder

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

mark d
100Club
100Club

Z thou a1 master cylinder

#1 PostAuthor: mark d » Mon May 13, 2019 8:47 pm

Please help as summer is here
, I’ve just replaced my front brake system as the bottom two hoses had started to perish after 40 years. So I’ve replaced all hoses , pistons ,seals and fitted a master cylinder repair kit so basically the whole front braking system has been replaced , I’ve had trouble getting a good brake , a couple of pulls on the brake lever and it’s a great brake that doesn’t fade I’ve also used my brake bleed system no matter how much I try it’s the same result and I never had this fault before I started . Now I’ve noticed the master cylinder leaking/ weeping between the see through plastic and the body .my question is how do you get these two parts separated with out damaging them and can you repair this item Is there a seal between them ?
All parts came from Z power
I don’t really want to buy a replacement as from what I can see they are all black and no see through plastic
4 pipe a1, z1000 st ,gpz rx 1000 x3 , Rx bitza in boxes x1

scott
Junior Section leader

Re: Z thou a1 master cylinder

#2 PostAuthor: scott » Tue May 14, 2019 11:28 am

The plastic reservoir can be removed from the master cylinder quite easily. Unscrew the lid. Look inside and there is a plastic plate that is at the bottom of the reservoir. This plate can be gently prised out (i used a thin rod with a right angle bent at the end and used it as a pick tool). Once the plate has been removed there will be two screws visible. Remove the screws and the plastic reservoir should just pull off. Once the reservoir has been removed the o ring, which is probably causing your leak, can be replaced. There is no part number for this o ring. Kawasaki deemed it far too complicated and dangerous for the average person to replace this o ring and therefore do not sell the o ring. I bought the CORRECT o rings for my Z1000A2 master cylinders, both front and rear. If you get the o ring out and measure it, i can probably send you the correct o ring FOC.

mark d
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: mark d » Tue May 14, 2019 7:35 pm

Thanks Scott I will have ago this weekend and be in touch

mark d
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: mark d » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:30 pm

Hi Scott I finally got time to take the master cylinder apart and cleaned out the brown gunk underneath the plastic part of the master cylinder . The round seal came out and it looked ok I reassembled it all and put it back together and now there is a small weep around the join but only slight I measured the rubber seal at 50 mm x 3 mm x 2 mm if this is the same as what you have then I would be grateful if you were willing to sell it . Would anyone on here know if these seals are a possible fitment on other jap models or could they be made ? Thanks mark

scott
Junior Section leader

#5 PostAuthor: scott » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:41 pm

Mark, PM me a place to send them to, free of charge. They are for z1000a2 front master cylinder but I’m sure they are the same as z1000a1 front master cylinder. If anyone has both master cylinders lying around them maybe they could measure the groove diameters etc as a comparison. I’m sure they are the same. This o ring I have measures what you say.

mark d
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: mark d » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:48 pm

POSS pm sent as not quite sure whether I done it correctly

walshyco
100Club
100Club

#7 PostAuthor: walshyco » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:00 pm

scott wrote:Mark, PM me a place to send them to, free of charge. They are for z1000a2 front master cylinder but I’m sure they are the same as z1000a1 front master cylinder. If anyone has both master cylinders lying around them maybe they could measure the groove diameters etc as a comparison. I’m sure they are the same. This o ring I have measures what you say.

Scott I don’t think the A2 one will be the same, they have a square reservoir and the A1 has round.

scott
Junior Section leader

#8 PostAuthor: scott » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:03 pm

If you’ve ever taken one apart you’d find the o ring to be round. Not square.

walshyco
100Club
100Club

#9 PostAuthor: walshyco » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:17 pm

I meant the shape of the reservoir. Sorry.

Return to “Bike Help”