Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Ignition advancer

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Ignition advancer

#16 PostAuthor: Al » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:24 am

I agree, on full volumetric flow RS 34's will be about 10 or 15% more than CV34's and for the same reason of the restriction of the butterfly valve in the mouth RS's suffer less running anomalies than the CV's through the low and mid range throttle openings. The sizing comes down to whether youre motors state of tune can ingest that volume of air and fuel mixture, get it burnt and do it again. That wont be a problem with a standard GPz 1100 or an enhanced one assuming nothing bad has been done to the carbs and the engine is correct including; valve timing, compression pressure, air leaks, accuracy of ignition timing and delivery etc.
AL
1981 J1

clacker
new poster

#17 PostAuthor: clacker » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:01 pm

Sorry for the delay getting back,house refurb taking up a lot of my time.Well the dyna s is fitted but its not the cure.At least i can rule out the pickups and igniter.When i get a chance i will pull the carbs again.the colourtune shows a yellow flame and a white flash when it spits which as im told is due to a weak mixture.As its happening just off idle i was wondering about the idle bypass holes.They seem clear, unless rs flatslides have more than one in each carb ?.The pod filters are a cheap version off e bay,i know i should have k and n filters .I would have thought the bike would run ok on open carbs which i have tried but the symptoms seem slightly worse.Could it be something as simple as crap filters ?.More investigating to do.

weaver
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#18 PostAuthor: weaver » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:39 am

crap filters are exactly that crap,I would invest in a set of k&n's and see how it goes

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#19 PostAuthor: Al » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:19 pm

Are the carb boots in good condition and glued onto the head? There are two different sorts; one for CV's and a slightly different number for RS carbs.
Are the air filters obscuring the air correction and fuel enrichment jets which RS carbs have pressed into a prominent part of the casting at the mouth opening?
AL
1981 J1

clacker
new poster

#20 PostAuthor: clacker » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:57 pm

carb rubbers are new z1000j and siliconed to head. I have positioned the filters so that the air passages are clear.Maybe a new set are needed.Are there any make other than k and n that can be recommended as funds are tight at the moment. thanks guys.

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#21 PostAuthor: Al » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:16 pm

Probably the next best thing. These are 36, 38, 40 i could not find 34mm but this supplier or another will sell you the right thing.They appear to be about 2/3 the price of K&N's.
EDIT; it says 33mm on the blister pack!!!!!!!!!
AL

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-Z10 ... 0033.m2042
1981 J1

clacker
new poster

#22 PostAuthor: clacker » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:30 pm

They seem a good option,thanks Al.

clacker
new poster

#23 PostAuthor: clacker » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:46 pm

Well its been a long haul,but i seem to have made some progress by going up a size on the pilot jets.The bike now holds a steady throttle with only the occasional spit back through the carbs.Hopefully with a bit of tweaking i will be there.

tlc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#24 PostAuthor: tlc » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:40 am

All very interesting stuff and I'm glad you're making some headway.
I cannot stress enough the value of a dyno run to check fueling. I had wrongly thought in the past that a dyno chart was only useful when in the pub, a follow on from my Fizzie days when there was alwys someone claiming theirs would do 70.
My guy is an ex racer and a master on fueling. Obviously most of his work nowadays is removing power commanders and instead flashing the correct software mods to ECUs but he understands old school bikes having grown up with our era bikes.
My dyno run was £50 and the explanation now helps me when atmospherics change to get the best low end pperformance. (Basically a slight tweak to the idle fuel screws)
Asphalt Cowboy Z1100R, 1981 Z1000J

Return to “Bike Help”