Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Regulator..Rectifier

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Wrigers
100Club
100Club

Regulator..Rectifier

#1 PostAuthor: Wrigers » Tue May 28, 2019 3:01 pm

Chaps, anyone got an easy method of testing a combined regulator/ rectifier. Mine is new but I am not convinced it doing it's job.
I've seen the YouTube post from electicworld etc, but would like some further pointers with a multimeter. Basically the battery keeps dying.

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Regulator..Rectifier

#2 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Tue May 28, 2019 3:12 pm

adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

Wrigers
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: Wrigers » Tue May 28, 2019 4:33 pm

Fantastic link, cheers Adrian.

ZedHead
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: ZedHead » Tue May 28, 2019 5:39 pm

Good link Adrian. Thanks for sharing

Paul what makes you think it is not doing its job? The output of modern regulators should remain constantly stable at the specified voltage (12v) across the rev range and under different loads. Any more than 14v and you will boil your battery and possible electronic ignition. Any less than 12v the spark will suffer leading to poor running and sooting up.

Wrigers
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: Wrigers » Tue May 28, 2019 6:37 pm

Cheers Dave, its just a thought process, a couple of decent runs and the battery's going. The RR was new from fleebay and it just might be a dud. Im just re charging the battery now and when its back on the bike ill test the voltage when it's running.

needaz1100r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#6 PostAuthor: needaz1100r » Wed May 29, 2019 8:06 pm

Wrigers wrote:Cheers Dave, its just a thought process, a couple of decent runs and the battery's going. The RR was new from fleebay and it just might be a dud. Im just re charging the battery now and when its back on the bike ill test the voltage when it's running.

You really need to see around 13.5v meter on V DC across the battery terminals when the bike is running. If you don't there is an issue, but it's not conclusive yet that is the reg/rec.

Check your negative connections in particular the engine to battery one and the connection from that into the bike loom as well as the positive ones from the reg/rec to the battery.

Next find the 3 wires from your alternator going to the reg/rec, and check the V AC voltage between each of them, note them as 1, 2 and 3. check between 1-2, 2-3 and 3-1. The voltage should be significantly higher that 13.5, I've tested a few bikes lately so couldn't give a figure, but 40 -70v would be reasonable without looking up the specs and all 3 should be the same. Also check the same V AC from each wire to negative, or the engine casing and/or frame, again you should see a substantial voltage and all 3 should be the same.

Just a thought, does your reg/rec have a voltage input from the loom, that senses the voltage in the loom separately to that going to the battery? If that wire is not sensing a voltage the reg/rec may not feed the battery. Lots of people think it's an earth, check the instructions if you have any.
Cheers,

Mark.

kev edwards
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: kev edwards » Wed May 29, 2019 8:11 pm

Some of those fleebay units are really just rubbish, i had three M&P ones for my 350f and they were crap cheap Chinese junk, got my money back, got electrex world one, UK made and does the job properly, will always use electrex world ones now.
Last edited by kev edwards on Thu May 30, 2019 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scott
Junior Section leader

#8 PostAuthor: scott » Thu May 30, 2019 7:15 am

I use Electrex generator and reg/rectifier. Excellent bit of kit.

Wrigers
100Club
100Club

#9 PostAuthor: Wrigers » Fri May 31, 2019 2:59 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, checked both the RR and the stator, and it would appear the latter is at fault. Very little coming out at all. New one it is then.....

Return to “Bike Help”