Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Harirs Pipe Finish? help wanted

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

glav666
100Club
100Club

Harirs Pipe Finish? help wanted

#1 PostAuthor: glav666 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:47 am

Hi I have an original Harris pipe that has been scotch padded in the past. I want to have it painted Black for my Lawson project. Can anyone give me any tips as what is best way to finish this? Ceramic coating? or just paint? I don't want to do Black chrome as at the cost I would nee able to buy a new Kerker lol.
Also anyone recommend anyone to do the coating?
Z900A4, Triumph Explorer, Harley Fatboy special 1690, RD350LC, GPZ750 Unitrac

Charlie
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: Harirs Pipe Finish? help wanted

#2 PostAuthor: Charlie » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:51 am

Either will work, paint will be around a tenner for a can of heatproof paint. Ceramic coating will look better but cost a few hundred quid ... Personally, I would paint it and look for a better one in chrome to come up :)
Why do I persist in debating with idiots ? I really should know better :)

chrisNI
Site Admin

#3 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:40 pm

If it was previously chrome get it blasted it’ll give a good tooth for paint there’s a bloke out in the country near here does a good job blasting.

neilbarrett
ZedHead
ZedHead

#4 PostAuthor: neilbarrett » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:52 pm

youl be lucky to find some one to black chrome a old pipe ,if you do let us know ? done right paint can last good ,I have an old moriwaki pipe and the paint lasted well till I got caught in the rain a few times

glav666
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: glav666 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:58 pm

chrisNI wrote:If it was previously chrome get it blasted it’ll give a good tooth for paint there’s a bloke out in the country near here does a good job blasting.

Jeez Chris, you expect me to go to Indian country again this year ffs :D
Z900A4, Triumph Explorer, Harley Fatboy special 1690, RD350LC, GPZ750 Unitrac

Big Fluff
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: Big Fluff » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:47 pm

Standard finish on the Harris" Works Collection" was rust I believe. :roll:
Get it ceramic coated..... Had mine done a few years back and it still looks as good as the day it was done.
Camcoat in Warrington did mine for around £180.
Kawasaki GPz750T, Kawasaki ZRX1100R, Kawasaki GPZ1000RX, H**** VF1000RG Rothmans, H**** VF500F2F, H**** CB1100RD, Suzuki GSX1100EFE, H**** XL125K2

johny brando
100Club
100Club

#7 PostAuthor: johny brando » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:44 am

glav666 wrote:Hi I have an original Harris pipe that has been scotch padded in the past. I want to have it painted Black for my Lawson project. Can anyone give me any tips as what is best way to finish this? Ceramic coating? or just paint? I don't want to do Black chrome as at the cost I would nee able to buy a new Kerker lol.
Also anyone recommend anyone to do the coating?

Have it blasted...for a good keying base & then correct ceramic under coat & finish with a Satin Black Ceramic top coat = pukka job !...last for ever. PLEASE take the trouble & ring a few local Powder Coating outfits and ask them about Ceramic coating . A lot of powder coating companies have free ready access to Ceramic Powder but have never asked their suppliers for it & when I got mine done it was no more expensive either ..that was 4 years ago now . Cheers & good luck bud !

Return to “Bike Help”