Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Head Bolts

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Wayne1960
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Head Bolts

#1 PostAuthor: Wayne1960 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:17 pm

The 2 M6 x 45mm long bolts that down through the head to the block that are in line with the spark plug so at the ends of the block wont tighten so just spinning.

I really don't want to strip everything off again so do any of you have an insitu fix?
Just purchased a 1976 UK Z900 A4 for renovation. Wish me luck.
Bike now finished what a joy!

Julian_Boolean
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: Head Bolts

#2 PostAuthor: Julian_Boolean » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:15 pm

You might be able to helicoil them without taking the head off.
My Z1000J had longer bolts with nuts on them when I bought it, as the threads were fecked
An expanding collection of parts pretending to be a Z1100R and a Yamaha FZ750

johny brando
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: johny brando » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:25 am

Wayne1960 wrote:The 2 M6 x 45mm long bolts that down through the head to the block that are in line with the spark plug so at the ends of the block wont tighten so just spinning.

I really don't want to strip everything off again so do any of you have an insitu fix?

If your really worried about them run 10mm longer bolts through into nuts below & torque to 9lbs / Ft ..... really though those 2 6mm bolts don't do anything & theres no oil supply near them, so to be honest best forget about them ...that is unless you get any compression loss at that point ( = not likely as the head bolts are tightened to 25lbs / Ft ) so in reality those 2 tiny bolts do nothing at all !!! Heli - Coiling them in situ is very doable if you feel the need..... n failing that just fix them up next time the heads off. Cheers.

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:03 am

Quick fix is to use a longer bolt with a nut between the barrel fins as already mentioned.
They can be helicoiled in situ but there is a slight chance that the hollow steel dowel will rotate when tapping so go slowly backing off half a cut at a time with plenty of cutting lube.
The dowel is "soft" so a normal hss drill bit will go through it easily.

Return to “Bike Help”