Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Pod filters

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Gonzo
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Pod filters

#1 PostAuthor: Gonzo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:37 pm

I need to change the pod filters on my Z thou A2 as that's what the bike came with and standard airboxes are too expensive and tricky to obtain. I did try some cheap Ebay versions but they made the bike run like shit at higher RPM (over 6K)... so, it comes down to K&N's (surprisingly expensive at £179 for a set of 4) or the foam Ramair version (better value at £48 per set).

All views and recommendations welcome?
1978 Z1000A2
Previous Zeds:
1975 Z1B
1982 Z650F3

Julian_Boolean
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: Pod filters

#2 PostAuthor: Julian_Boolean » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:06 pm

S and Bs are available from Grumpy 1260 (and probably others) for about half the price of K and Ns and work just as well.

I had Ram Airs on my RS34s, you may need to cut out the lip inside to make them work properly, they're a bit bulky which is why I changed to S and Bs.
An expanding collection of parts pretending to be a Z1100R and a Yamaha FZ750

Hobbo
International Rep

#3 PostAuthor: Hobbo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:16 pm

Guyzz

Ape pods are superb also from grumpy 1260

Phil
Never Dull in Hull Watch no 31

International Rep

PaulMceleney
Chunks

#4 PostAuthor: PaulMceleney » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:14 pm

I use the cheap pod filters on my z900, I have z1r carbs on it 28mm runs better with these carbs but it should run well with 26mm z900 carbs it not the fillters why it running crap, its down to the jets been using cheap fillters for years no problems check your carb rubbers to the head check for cracks in the rubbers

PaulMceleney
Chunks

#5 PostAuthor: PaulMceleney » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:22 pm

If you are going to Jim's rally at the weekend I will bring some jets with me and I will fix it for you I have most sizes

Gonzo
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#6 PostAuthor: Gonzo » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:33 am

paulmceleney wrote:I use the cheap pod filters on my z900, I have z1r carbs on it 28mm runs better with these carbs but it should run well with 26mm z900 carbs it not the fillters why it running crap, its down to the jets been using cheap fillters for years no problems check your carb rubbers to the head check for cracks in the rubbers

Paul

As soon as I changed back to my original pods the bike ran absolutely fine so I'm fairly certain it isn't a jetting issue. The rubbers between the carbs and head are also ok. So, I think the issue was with the rubber sleeve that connects the pods to the carbs. I think they may have been partially blocking the pilot air passage hole at the bottom of the carb mouth inlet.
Anywho, thanks for the offer but I'm over on the Isle of Wight this weekend visiting some caulkhead friends! :Oo
1978 Z1000A2
Previous Zeds:
1975 Z1B
1982 Z650F3

Charlie
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#7 PostAuthor: Charlie » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:48 am

I had cheap pod filters on my ZRX, they looked cheap too. The bike came with 'em on cos it had been converted to monoshock and had no air filter box. It also had a stage 3 dynojet kit.

It used to spit and cough a bit on medium throttle openings. I junked the pattern pods and bought some refreshingly expensive oval body K&N's.

It looked better and ran better. the spitting back vanished with no more changes. The bike has been all over Europe and never missed a beat or lost a pod. Its been caught in ridiculously monsoon-like rain and seen no issues there either.

You get what you pay for .... buy cheap, buy twice :wink:
Why do I persist in debating with idiots ? I really should know better :)

ZedHead
Hardcore
Hardcore

#8 PostAuthor: ZedHead » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:58 am

Some good suggestions from the guys. Just be aware that K&N's are intended to be oiled and re-washable while some of the cheaper ones run better dry. Ultimately, K&N's are probably a better investment, providing cleaner flow and longer life. It depends what you need and what your budget will extend to. I guess.

Julian_Boolean
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#9 PostAuthor: Julian_Boolean » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:28 am

You may be able to trim the rubber lip where it blocks the air jets with a craft knife, I had to do this with Ram Airs
An expanding collection of parts pretending to be a Z1100R and a Yamaha FZ750

Return to “Bike Help”