Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Oil pressure loss !!

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

johny brando
100Club
100Club

Re: Oil pressure loss !!

#16 PostAuthor: johny brando » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:03 am

Paulb wrote:Hi Guys
I have a Z900A4 and rebuilt the engine nearly 1000 miles ago. Everything seemed fine.
Now I am starting to open it up a little bit. When the engine is hot and I accelerate from a standing start, occasionally the oil pressure light comes on. I shut the throttle and slow down and after a few seconds the light goes off again. I am using 20w 50 oil , does it need thicker oil? The sump appears to have the baffles in it, so I don't thinks the oil is sloshing to the back of the engine. Anyone got any Ideas ?
Thanks Paul

Before you get all confused & bent out of shape ( & please forget about all the Baffle bol@#$%s it's not that ) It would be favourite & best to do the basic checks first to help identify the actual problem source ! You'll now need to buy or borrow a 'low pressure oil gauge' & fit it to your main oil gallery end plug= R/H side next to rear of base gasket . Also preferably a dip stick Oil Temp gauge...New Oil Filter & Fresh 20/50 Oil "warmed up the engine oil to 60 C" & then holding the revs at a constant a 3000 rpm & if all is OK the pressure should read 2.8 p.s.i. or maybe a touch more ( yeh, 2.8 psi = MASSIVE volume with very low pressure ) If it reads 2 psi or less .... thats no good ! This tells your the issue is almost certainly in your Oil pump . Then you need to get into your Oil pump & very carefully check all the internal clearances & then close the lid down to 1 Thou running clearance = you'll need Plastigauge + Sheet of Glass + 600 & 1000 wet n dry paper & some patience to do this ......but it's worth it . Hope this is of some assistance Paul . All the best, Johny B. If this proves to be fruitless then PM me & we'll move on as there is a "remote chance from 2 other internal areas" which can show up as the problem you have.

ZedHead
Hardcore
Hardcore

#17 PostAuthor: ZedHead » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:16 pm

Out of curiosity, I wonder how many have condemned an oil pressure switch because there is continuity even when the plunger is pushed in?

Paulb
100Club
100Club

#18 PostAuthor: Paulb » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:57 am

I have fitted a new oil pressure switch, and touch wood , hasn't happened since.

If it happens again I will try fitting an oil pressure and temperature gauge ( I didn't realise you could get dip stick oil temperature gauges !). Thanks for that information Johny B.
Z900A4.
Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

Big Fluff
Hardcore
Hardcore

#19 PostAuthor: Big Fluff » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:22 pm

Like I said Paul, sometimes the most cheapest and easiest fix sorts it.
Glad all is now okay.
Kawasaki GPz750T, Kawasaki ZRX1100R, Kawasaki GPZ1000RX, H**** VF1000RG Rothmans, H**** VF500F2F, H**** CB1100RD, Suzuki GSX1100EFE, H**** XL125K2

Return to “Bike Help”