Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1B oil cooler

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Chris71
Regular Poster

Z1B oil cooler

#1 PostAuthor: Chris71 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:32 pm

Hello all
I have a 1975 Z1B-900 with what I believe is a original kawasaki oil cooler? part number B006109D.
My problem is that I also have a NHK steering damper, but I can't seem to fit it as it fouls the oil cooler when turning.
Any suggestions on how these were supposed to work together or if you can...
All the mountings are factory and unmodified..
Any help would be awesome.

z2.john
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: Z1B oil cooler

#2 PostAuthor: z2.john » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:07 pm

They cannot be used together. Kawasaki actually state this in their service bulletins

Chris71
Regular Poster

#3 PostAuthor: Chris71 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:56 pm

Yeah I figured that was the case... hmm better handling or a hot engine?

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: Philippe » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:37 am

Hi Chris
if you change the original roller bearings in the headstock by tapered roller bearings you don't need a steering damper anymore and you can keep the oil cooler.
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

johny brando
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: johny brando » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:01 am

Chris71 wrote:Hello all
I have a 1975 Z1B-900 with what I believe is a original kawasaki oil cooler? part number B006109D.
My problem is that I also have a NHK steering damper, but I can't seem to fit it as it fouls the oil cooler when turning.
Any suggestions on how these were supposed to work together or if you can...
All the mountings are factory and unmodified..
Any help would be awesome.

Best bet is to make up your own Cooler mounting so it sits a little higher if possible & clears your damper . A cooler is a real plus ( especially if it incorporates a T/ Stat ...if you have no Stat just make a rubber cover/blank for the front of it as if your gunna use the bike in the winter.... you don't your oil to emulsify a little ( which it will ) unless you run it long enough to evaporate the condense caused at low winter temperatures. The benefits really out way the negatives ...just like your steering damper which I'd want keep too... as there brilliant at high speeds. Sure tapered head bearings are good too... but go to any track & look = every one use's Tapers bearings & Dampers - They can't all be wrong can they ? Cheers Johny B

Return to “Bike Help”