Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Next daft question oul coolers

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Swirl
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: Next daft question oul coolers

#16 PostAuthor: Swirl » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:59 am

johny brando wrote:
Swirl wrote:
Mathh wrote:I always use a thermostat with an oil cooler. Oil that is too cold is as bad for an engine as oil that is too hot.

Can you buy a thermostat that goes inline say on the the banjo which only opens when the engine is up to temperature,

By-passe's can be / are good ........until the stat sticks or fails ( as they can do... either open or closed ! ) .........then it depends on how it's internal plumbing is designed - as to whether your top end gets 'enough' or any oil at all !!!!!!!!!!!
Thats why I choose to use use a mechanical means to restrict cooling air over my Cooler during winter months = a simple black Rubber blanking plate.... supported by 3 heavy gauge rubber bands... it's not very high tech but it works a treat & is not really visible when in place ! ( & it lives in my tail piece under the seat when not in use )

Got any pictures buddy

johny brando
100Club
100Club

#17 PostAuthor: johny brando » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:04 pm

Swirl wrote:
johny brando wrote:
Swirl wrote:
Mathh wrote:I always use a thermostat with an oil cooler. Oil that is too cold is as bad for an engine as oil that is too hot.

Can you buy a thermostat that goes inline say on the the banjo which only opens when the engine is up to temperature,

By-passe's can be / are good ........until the stat sticks or fails ( as they can do... either open or closed ! ) .........then it depends on how it's internal plumbing is designed - as to whether your top end gets 'enough' or any oil at all !!!!!!!!!!!
Thats why I choose to use use a mechanical means to restrict cooling air over my Cooler during winter months = a simple black Rubber blanking plate.... supported by 3 heavy gauge rubber bands... it's not very high tech but it works a treat & is not really visible when in place ! ( & it lives in my tail piece under the seat when not in use )

Got any pictures buddy

Don't know if this attachment pic will work ........?
Attachments
IMAG3148.jpg

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#18 PostAuthor: Pigford » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:53 am

Dunno about that - no criticism, but any oil flow restriction doesn’t sound healthy?
I just cover my cooler in lower temperatures.
I do have a thermostat but not using it as it’s a bulky bit of kit.
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

Return to “Bike Help”