Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Pilot Jets...

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Yellow
100Club
100Club

Pilot Jets...

#1 PostAuthor: Yellow » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:23 am

Hi lads, I have an1980 LTD1000 that is standard USA import...
It starts and runs great but on tick over is lumpy and often cuts out..when I screw the air screws in all the way it helps a little. What size pilot jets will help this? It has 15 as standard and the pumper parts of the carb have being blocked off...Cheers.

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Pilot Jets...

#2 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:44 am

Air screws in all the way means that you are enrichening the pilot circuit so larger pilots would be the obvious way to go and 17.5 would be where to start but the cutting out and lumpy running is more likely to be blocked or partially blocked pilot outlet passages so that would be the area to check out first.
Are you running an air box or open carbs/pods etc.
If you have pods etc you need air corrector jets fitting to cure the low end fueling gap.

Yellow
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: Yellow » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:15 pm

Standard airbox and exhaust, California import so maybe jetted for a warmer climate..have carbs stripped so will clean pilot passage and fit 17.5 pilot jet and see how it goes from there. Thanks for the help, I’ll let you know how it goes...Cheers...

kev edwards
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: kev edwards » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:29 pm

Are the carbs the right ones, i have a ltd but it has A1,2 carbs and it had the same problem even with 17.5 jets, the actual problem was the bike leant over too far meaning the fuel level would be too low on the right hand side of the bike and would do the same as yours as it has the short jets in them, cure was is an A2 side stand, i now have a set of ltd carbs with the long jets waiting to go on if i can be bothered at some stage.

Yellow
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: Yellow » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:31 pm

The side stand is an issue but i usually sit on the bike while starting keeping it level. the bike starts easy and runs great on choke and when off idle, its only on idle at lights or in traffic that it cuts out. I believe the carbs are original but the pump gas being disabled.

Return to “Bike Help”