Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Testing the tacho drive on a set of Gpz1100B2 clocks

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

scott
Junior Section leader

Testing the tacho drive on a set of Gpz1100B2 clocks

#1 PostAuthor: scott » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:19 pm

Guys, has anyone had any experience with Gpz1100B2 tacho drive testing? I need to test the tacho drive but don't have a running engine to provide the pulse. I think i could use a function generator set to square pulse with an amplitude of approximately 4 volts. Is the voltage level correct, pulse type selection correct? Any other pointers?

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Testing the tacho drive on a set of Gpz1100B2 clocks

#2 PostAuthor: Al » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:47 pm

You need a sig. generator and perhaps oscilloscope to test the speedo PCB. Think its square wave, blah blah blah, woffle woffle but thats all hocus pocus to me. Tacho should be a straight pulsed signal and if you give it to me i can test it for you.
Alternatively there are two members at least on here i can think of who are experts on this. One of them you know and he lives near me the other one you possibly dont and he lives very near you!!!
Not ready to give details of members without having spoken to them first but am more than happy to do that.
Can also tell you where i am and i work part way between here and youre location.
Welcome to come round at the weekend and test it yourself if its urgent, assuming it has the same plug as the J.

AL
1981 J1

scott
Junior Section leader

#3 PostAuthor: scott » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:14 pm

Al, I’m back home in Liverpool for the weekend. Maybe I could come to you the weekend after to test it? I’ve got access to scopes and function generators if you’re not about. I think it’s a square wave and it’s amplitude is 2-4v peak.

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: Al » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:20 pm

Next weekend after this is Sat 20 Sun 21 but i am at Castle Combe on Friday 19 and Sat 20 for the big VJMC show and trackday. Sunday 21 i will be in another universe but that does not rule it out.
AL
1981 J1

scott
Junior Section leader

#5 PostAuthor: scott » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:06 pm

:lol:

Julian_Boolean
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#6 PostAuthor: Julian_Boolean » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:58 pm

Have you got another bike you can test it on, they all work the same, +12v, negative and a signal wire from one of the coils.
An expanding collection of parts pretending to be a Z1100R and a Yamaha FZ750

scott
Junior Section leader

#7 PostAuthor: scott » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:40 pm

This is the problem, I have no functionality from this bike yet. It’s a project. So, testing the tacho would require a conditioned signal from the IC igniter, according to the manual. So, the only way I thought of testing it would be to input a square wave, amplitude limited, signal from a signal generator varying the frequency of the pulse to imitate the revs.

Return to “Bike Help”