Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

KZ1000 carbs

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: KZ1000 carbs

#16 PostAuthor: Philippe » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:30 am

Hi Ian
you mentioned that you have a '79 KZ1000. Does it have the MK2 engine with the "clean air system" on it?
That means: are there tubes running from the air box to the valve cover?
If that's the case I think those could cause the problem. Fresh air is sucked in the exhaust and gives some "afterburner" effect, causing the "farting".
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

johny brando
100Club
100Club

#17 PostAuthor: johny brando » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:25 am

zed1015 wrote:Unless there is physical damage , float posts broken off, stripped air screw threads etc I've never had a set of carbs that are actually worn out.
The only non replaceable wearing area of the actual body is the slide bore and I've never had a carb become unusable because of that.

LISTEN TO ROB HERE & SEEK AND FOLLOW 'HIS ADVISE' YOU WILL SAVE YOURSELF A LOT OF CASH AND HEARTACHE. - & COMPLETELY FORGET ABOUT 34MM CARBS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#18 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:26 am

Ian.S wrote:yeah I've just been looking at the airbox setup, the silencer is missing, the carbs I bought secondhand and are European ones but I cannot remember the jet sizes, should have written them down somewhere

Sounds like you do need to get them out check the jet sizes for a start.
http://www.airevalleyclassics.co.uk
10% discount code Z1OCTEN
Keyster rebuild kits & carburettor spares - airscrews, jets, needles, starter plungers & gaskets.
Also petrol/ethanol proof float bowl gaskets. IMD pistons preferred seller.

Ian.S
Regular Poster

#19 PostAuthor: Ian.S » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:32 pm

It does have the clean air system, never thought about that......and yes I do need to check the jet sizes, plenty to go at now, hopefully get it sorted, thankyou guys :D

kev edwards
Hardcore
Hardcore

#20 PostAuthor: kev edwards » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:59 pm

You can blank off the clean air system it was useless anyway, you can either put caps over the pipe stubs on the cam cover, remove the reed valves and put plates on in place of them, or drill tap and plug the ports, mine has a UK head which is the most expensive option, with that gone you will have one less thing to worry about, these old Kawas quite often throw up a problem or two, always been the most needy bikes I've ever owned but i love em.

8 Valve Mark
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#21 PostAuthor: 8 Valve Mark » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:40 pm

ian, the simplest, cheapest remedy for the clean air malarkey is to join the two stubs with a bit of rubber hose, the 28mm carbs bill mentioned are mine and are from a 79ltd mk2 and unfortunately have bids on them. I'm pleased to see that the good folk here and their shared wisdom might save you a grand that would probably make no difference at the end of the day=evening? Well done fellow clubsters! m

Ian.S
Regular Poster

#22 PostAuthor: Ian.S » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:02 pm

yes well done fellow clubsters, much appreciated :D

Return to “Bike Help”