Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Cable Operated Disc Front Brake

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

MikeP
100Club
100Club

Cable Operated Disc Front Brake

#1 PostAuthor: MikeP » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:43 pm

Gents,

Whilst chatting with Mikey "the mighty polishing god" yesterday I got to look at his hydraulic clutch conversion on his Z1000. It was so smooth and easy and this got me thinking, yet again, to converting the Kwaki triples to a hydraulic clutch mechanism. My only requirement is that the look of the handlebar has to be as per original, ie with a cable lever with the master cylinder hidden under the tank or seat area.

Mikey mentioned that one of the Z1000 had a similar thing with the front brake, which was cable operated but had disc brakes. The question being: which model was it? If you've got a model number and/or have some photos too that'd be grand, and I can get my fag box sketches going. I appreciate I'll have to design and machine the actaul hydraulic mechanism but that's where the fun begins.

Thanks, Mike
Kwaki lover - Z1000R2, ZX9R F1P, GPz1100B1, 350 S2 and a brace of 500 H1's. For fun I've got a couple of LC's too yahooooo

Bill P
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Cable Operated Disc Front Brake

#2 PostAuthor: Bill P » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:07 pm

Z1r was cable operated to a master cylinder which was in the cockpit fairing :)

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: z1bman » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:39 pm

the bmw boxers up to 1980 also used a cable operated front master cylinder which was fitted under the fuel tan & clamped to the frame

gpjes
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: gpjes » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:26 pm

It was shite, was then, still is, the set up on mine has a neat cut out on the fairing, yes i've toyed with the idea of buying the original bits, Christ knows why though, I can remember my mates one R, it was awful, but back then, back when stuff was plentiful, and Geepeezed stuff was grafted on, it's the red one I put a picture of on here, I still like to stop though, it does help, :D and my setup is simpler, and better than original, why change?
More Smiles Per Mile

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: z1bman » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:26 pm

never did rate the braking efficiency of this type of set up on the z1r it was a backward step for kawasaki if they had changed the design of the fairing they could have used a conventional type handlebar mounted master cylinder & probably sold more units

8 Valve Mark
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#6 PostAuthor: 8 Valve Mark » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:47 pm

Mike, i think you're onto a good idea, go for it, however shitty the z1r brake set up was; is irrelevant if you're using the M/C for a cable/ hydraulic clutch conversion. i have details of an easy-fit actuator for the push-rod end, and a suitable, modern suzuki remote reservoir stashed in my files if you need any encouragement,just accrued knowledge for when I get round to it, but I'll be using a regular clutch M/C.

CAT3
100Club
100Club

#7 PostAuthor: CAT3 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:02 pm

Just to throw another option in the ring, Kustom Tech make a quite neat remote mountable master cylinder, which is cable operated.
The unit is quite small & I'm guessing could easily fit under a tank. Obviously you'd have to get a suitable cable made up, but someone like Venhill would be able & willing to help with that.

MikeP
100Club
100Club

#8 PostAuthor: MikeP » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:46 pm

Thanks to all, Bill, Mark, z1bman and CAT3,

I've started by ordering a master cylinder similar to the Z1R so I can look at the size of actuator cylinder required (as it'll need to be a special design). In tandem I'll also check out the Kustom Tech one as they may have solved problems I have yet to come across.

Wish me luck, and I'll keep you posted.

Mike
Kwaki lover - Z1000R2, ZX9R F1P, GPz1100B1, 350 S2 and a brace of 500 H1's. For fun I've got a couple of LC's too yahooooo

Return to “Bike Help”