Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Exhaust drains....

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

damien.wrl
100Club
100Club

Exhaust drains....

#1 PostAuthor: damien.wrl » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:55 am

Good morning all , Z1000 oe exhausts appear to have drain holes at the base of the cans , Mine seem to have what appear to be small (rusty) grommets , anyone enlighten me on wether they should be plugged, drained occasionally or left open, how do they not constitute a “blowing exhaust “

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Exhaust drains....

#2 PostAuthor: z1bman » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:45 pm

they should have an open hole at the base of the muffler about 4mm in diameter

johny brando
100Club
100Club

Re: Exhaust drains....

#3 PostAuthor: johny brando » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:53 am

z1bman wrote:they should have an open hole at the base of the muffler about 4mm in diameter

Yeh ...i think your spot on there . But you go back up the lowest 6 O'clock point of the out silencer skin, about 6-7mm and drill a hole there at 6 O'clock ...reason that is the point to drill is because I believe there double skin come together there at the lowest point & as a result all the crud and rust powder etc collects between those skins in that captive low joint point...so a fresh hole just a bit upstream allows the condense to freely escape & not to just re-block 5 minutes later . I think this double skin issue is one of reasons the OEM silencers use to rust at the top of the silencers at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions..... as I think the inner skin finished right up high about 100m back from the end of the silencer... where it then was just a single skin .
All the best . Johny B

Return to “Bike Help”