Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

REV counter

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Martin.T
new poster

REV counter

#1 PostAuthor: Martin.T » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:15 pm

Hi all, i`ve recently bought a kz1000 1978. I was told that the clocks were not original, which is fine, but how can i check if the rev counter is correct for my bike ? it`s just that it seems to be reading a lot faster than the engine sounds. Is there a number printed somewhere or some other means of finding out.
Many Thanks

Big Fluff
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: REV counter

#2 PostAuthor: Big Fluff » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:00 pm

1978 Z1000A2 should be as shown (bottom set).
8½ thou' redline. 160 mph speedo with 10 mph increments.
Regards Will
Attachments
KZ5.jpg
Kawasaki GPz750T, Kawasaki ZRX1100R, Kawasaki GPZ1000RX, H**** VF1000RG Rothmans, H**** VF500F2F, H**** CB1100RD, Suzuki GSX1100EFE, H**** XL125K2

Charlie
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#3 PostAuthor: Charlie » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:08 pm

Those aftermarket speedo and tacho's that are available commonly can be absolutely miles out.

According to my Z650 tach, its idling at 2000 rpm ! If I connect up a calibrated tacho, it shows the correct engine speed which is just over half that :roll:

The speedo is no better - it massively over-reads, either that or I have a 140+ mph Z650 ;) I do have some original clocks to put back on at some point so am not concerned about how wrong the pattern ones are. They look OK, but I guess they have little mice with calculators doing the math inside them :wink:
Why do I persist in debating with idiots ? I really should know better :)

Big Fluff
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: Big Fluff » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:28 pm

I agree Charlie, EMGO gauges can be a fair amount out.
Best sprucing the old ones up. Sorting the damping, refinishing the bodies and fitting some of my gauge face kits can make it really worthwhile.
Link to the gauge kits if it helps.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KAWASAKI-Z1- ... SwnFZXUuIH
Kawasaki GPz750T, Kawasaki ZRX1100R, Kawasaki GPZ1000RX, H**** VF1000RG Rothmans, H**** VF500F2F, H**** CB1100RD, Suzuki GSX1100EFE, H**** XL125K2

Martin.T
new poster

#5 PostAuthor: Martin.T » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:47 pm

Thanks Guys. I knew someone would know.

King of Kings
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#6 PostAuthor: King of Kings » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:46 pm

Have had a total of 3 sets of std clocks totally “rebuilt/renovated” by our various experts, not a single set workin even remotely close to stock new sets, genuine NOS sets will be potentially fookin knackered by now too! That’s if you could find a set and have a spare grand laying around!

Charlie
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#7 PostAuthor: Charlie » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:34 am

The originals in good condition are out there and if you look hard enough and get lucky you need not pay big bucks. I found a mint MPH speedo in Germany of all places with just 8K on the trip. It looks and works perfect. Its not even got the common orange fading issue on the clock needle. It wasn't cheap - but it wasn't OTT either :wink:

I thought there was a guy on here that rebuild clocks to a good standard ? (can't recall who it is)
Why do I persist in debating with idiots ? I really should know better :)

Return to “Bike Help”