Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Sump Pan Removal Z1000A1

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Tonto
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Sump Pan Removal Z1000A1

#1 PostAuthor: Tonto » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:28 pm

Guys, might seem a basic question, but having real difficulties removing the sump pan on my A1: all 17 bolts came out with no difficulty, everything looks ok and cant see anuthing retaining it, but I cant shift the pan.

Ive tried a wee bit of shock treatment with a nylon hammer but before resorting to any real force thought best to ask If I'm missing something obvious, or if anyone has any tried and tested advice on how to best get the pan off.

Many thanks
Tim
"Better to remain silent and be thought an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove any doubt" - Abraham Lincoln
Z900A4 / Hodna CBXZ / Ducati Diavel / H1F 500 Mongrel / CBXZ Project / RD400 project

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Sump Pan Removal Z1000A1

#2 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:43 pm

Presuming you have removed the oil filter bolt and cover there is nothing else holding the pan on except it being stuck to the gasket.
A sharp tap sideways with a mallet should break the seal and the pan will drop off.

trikerdrew
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: trikerdrew » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:48 pm

Have you tried some heat?

Less gentle tapping. Are there any pry points?

My go to method- swearing and alcohol :lol:

At the risk of sounding like a complete and utter twunt, check the bolts are all out and the oil filter bolt isn't holding everything in. Yep, I did both on other bikes, the shame :oops:

Hope you win the battle!

drew

Tonto
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#4 PostAuthor: Tonto » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:32 pm

Thanks chaps - ill give it a go with a bigger mallet :lol:
As all bolts, drain plug / filter etc were removed I was a bit concerned there might be a locating dowel holding it (did not think so, but you never know) so did not want to thrash away too hard with my trusty mallet - she really is putting up a fight.

I'll attack her again tomorrow with more vigour :drill
"Better to remain silent and be thought an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove any doubt" - Abraham Lincoln
Z900A4 / Hodna CBXZ / Ducati Diavel / H1F 500 Mongrel / CBXZ Project / RD400 project

Return to “Bike Help”