Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Misfire from cold start.

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

ianali
100Club
100Club

Misfire from cold start.

#1 PostAuthor: ianali » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:16 am

My 1979 z1000 has had a misfire when cold ever since I’ve owned it. Four years. Runs beautifully at all times apart from this. Problem appears come colder weather. Bike always starts easily, but will fire on three for the first couple of minutes, then all settles down and is fine. Have checked and there is a spark at plug. Where should I start in curing this? Cheers, Ian.

ZedHead
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Misfire from cold start.

#2 PostAuthor: ZedHead » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:05 am

My Z1B does that on one cylinder as long as it settles down when warm I wouldn't worry about it.

Wrigers
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: Wrigers » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:56 pm

Yep, mine to. A couple of little coughs from cold then it's fine.

Julian_Boolean
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#4 PostAuthor: Julian_Boolean » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:45 pm

ianali wrote:My 1979 z1000 has had a misfire when cold ever since I’ve owned it. Four years. Runs beautifully at all times apart from this. Problem appears come colder weather. Bike always starts easily, but will fire on three for the first couple of minutes, then all settles down and is fine. Have checked and there is a spark at plug. Where should I start in curing this? Cheers, Ian.

Wait for it to warm up before riding it.
An expanding collection of parts pretending to be a Z1100R and a Yamaha FZ750

moizeau
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#5 PostAuthor: moizeau » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:55 pm

Mine coughs when cold on the rh cylinder. Absolutely fine when warm. This is also the coolest cylinder when checking the exhaust temps with an infrared. There is also a slight tappet sound when warm. Not checked compression but have done a leakdown and all were exactly the same. For mine I'm thinking valve clearances are too large. Something to check when it gets stripped during the winter. If you've got no funny noises live with it, though it would be interesting to see what the downpipe temps are?
Pete

Return to “Bike Help”