Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1000 MK2 replica paint sets

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Sgt.Pinback
100Club
100Club

Z1000 MK2 replica paint sets

#1 PostAuthor: Sgt.Pinback » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:51 am

Is there experience with those new MK2 paint sets that come from Japan?

Are there any differences (hardware as well as paint and stripes) to genuine stuff?
Cheers, Uli

Z1, Z1000H, ZRX1100R, R90S

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Z1000 MK2 replica paint sets

#2 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:18 am

Sgt.Pinback wrote:Is there experience with those new MK2 paint sets that come from Japan?
Are there any differences (hardware as well as paint and stripes) to genuine stuff?

Good question and one I have been wondering too. Maybe Dave from Cybike knows?
http://www.airevalleyclassics.co.uk
10% discount code Z1OCTEN
Keyster rebuild kits & carburettor spares - airscrews, jets, needles, starter plungers & gaskets.
Also petrol/ethanol proof float bowl gaskets. IMD pistons preferred seller.

Sgt.Pinback
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: Sgt.Pinback » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:06 pm

I´ve been offered an used but very good genuine paint set for MK2 and I´m wondering how much I will pay for it.
More or less than for a new replica set?
Cheers, Uli

Z1, Z1000H, ZRX1100R, R90S

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:25 pm

Sgt.Pinback wrote:I´ve been offered an used but very good genuine paint set for MK2 and I´m wondering how much I will pay for it. More or less than for a new replica set?

Depends on what originality you want...
Keyster rebuild kits & carburettor spares - airscrews, jets, needles, starter plungers & gaskets.

ZedHead
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: ZedHead » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:18 pm

Gents, I am happy to offer advice away from the forum to anyone who want to contact me by phone or email.

01609 773486
info@cybike.co.uk

nicomkii
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: nicomkii » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:09 pm

I bought a set way back when the Aus $ was in parity to the US. The paint itself was great, I got the Luminous Blue and it was as I recalled it near on 40 years ago. The shape of all the parts was good and they fitted as expected. Thats where my satisfaction ended. The sticker joins on the pin striping were not aligned and very noticeable. Also noticeable was the seam down the middle of the petrol tank, at the right angle you could see a seam going straight down the guts. Also you could tell that the metal was a lot thinner.
I sold mine on and will wait until I have the coin to get them painted the Luminous Blue. We have a guy in Queensland who has the colours downpat, suffice to say you pay for quality so for now mine stays in the Z1000H paint scheme.
Nico

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:30 pm

nicomkii wrote:I bought a set way back when the Aus $ was in parity to the US. The paint itself was great, I got the Luminous Blue and it was as I recalled it near on 40 years ago. The shape of all the parts was good and they fitted as expected. Thats where my satisfaction ended. The sticker joins on the pin striping were not aligned and very noticeable. Also noticeable was the seam down the middle of the petrol tank, at the right angle you could see a seam going straight down the guts. Also you could tell that the metal was a lot thinner.
I sold mine on and will wait until I have the coin to get them painted the Luminous Blue. We have a guy in Queensland who has the colours downpat, suffice to say you pay for quality so for now mine stays in the Z1000H paint scheme.

Thanks for your feedback. I've heard similar reports about the paint finish.
So for anyone considering these, looks like it might bee best to purchase the unpainted set and send them to your painter of choice.

Return to “Bike Help”