Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Voltage drop at coils

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Mr Bump
100Club
100Club

Voltage drop at coils

#1 PostAuthor: Mr Bump » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:51 pm

Good evening gentlemen,

Hopefully this isn't too dense a question, but...

Z1000A1. .. rebuilt about 2 years ago. Original loom, but thoroughly gone through inspected and tidied up during rebuild. Solid state reg/ rectifier, dyna S ignition, recent pattern ignition switch, otherwise standard. Running well and charging.

I started poking it with a meter because the headlight is feeble so I suspected a voltage drop to the bulb.

With a charged battery standing at 12.8v with no load, I got 10.2v at the bulb.

This is with the engine NOT running, due to noise regulations imposed by the House Police.

I've traced this back and found that with the coils disconnected I get 12.5 at the bulb, with the coils connected I get 10.2v at the bulb, and less than 10v at the coil with the lights on.

What's occurring? Will the dyna normally pull the voltage down this much, or is my loom duff and won't pass enough current?

Thanks,

Olly
'In your twenties you think you are immortal, in your thirties you hope you are immortal, in your forties you just hope it doesn't hurt too much'

Lemmy

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Voltage drop at coils

#2 PostAuthor: z1bman » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:21 pm

yes a voltage drop of between 1-2 volts at the coils is normal with dyna s the only way to improve your headlight is to fit one with an h4 bulb but you will need to bypass the headlight resistor

Mr Bump
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: Mr Bump » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:53 pm

Hi,

Thanks. I didn't know it's got a headlight resistor... i'll have to look at the diagram Ive got again... whereabouts is it?

Olly
'In your twenties you think you are immortal, in your thirties you hope you are immortal, in your forties you just hope it doesn't hurt too much'

Lemmy

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: z1bman » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:17 pm

it should be attached to a bracket & bolted on top of one of the ignition coils & has two blue wires & should look like this if it still has one fitted
Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (6.44 KiB) Viewed 2374 times

Mr Bump
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: Mr Bump » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:11 pm

Hi,

No, don't have one of them things, already got a h4 bulb too. I'm thinking of relaying the ignition straight to the battery. Seems like fixing the symptom not the cause though.

Thanks for your help. Appreciated.

Olly

Lemmy

MarkMac
new poster

Re: Dyna s ignition

#6 PostAuthor: MarkMac » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:20 pm

Eyup pal
Just read your post hope you got it sorted.You say youve got dyna s ignition and coils .ive just got it to fit to my z900 a 4 and all fitted but there doesnt seem to be enough adjustment.the crank auto advance timing marks are at full advance on 1-4 andthe cam fully rotated clockwise to obtain full advance,but there doesnt seem enough adjustment on the mtg place slots it is fully rotated to end of screw holes.did you have any probs like this.the only cure i can see is to elongate the slots.
Any advice much appreciated

DogsbolloxofZ1B
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: DogsbolloxofZ1B » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:45 am

Re Dyna-S.
Mark I read somewhere here that there were a batch
of these supplied with the pickups mounted on the
wrong side of the ally disc. Solution was to mount the
pickups on the flip side then you'll have plenty of
adjustment.
Mike

Bill P
Hardcore
Hardcore

#8 PostAuthor: Bill P » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:51 am

Theres a bit of adjustment on the Pick Ups as well :)

Return to “Bike Help”