Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Running again after 9 years! Just! Advice for a layman please!

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

bobajob
Regular Poster

Running again after 9 years! Just! Advice for a layman please!

#1 PostAuthor: bobajob » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:18 pm

Not much of a poster but here goes!!! I have been threatening to try and start the bike up for the last few years, it has sat idle since 2010 and finally got round to it today. Life just got in the way! Anyway -Fresh fuel and oil and away she went after about half a dozen kicks. Unreal and very happy to say the least, but does run a bit bike iffy on tick over -probably carbs gummed up somewhat! So would very much appreciate some advice on a couple of things. Firstly, I have no great desire or sufficient competence to pull the carbs off and start tearing them apart - and as it isn't running that bad so does anyone recommend any fuel additives that might help(or any other advice) , ie seafoam that might just help clear the carbs throat? Also has a bit of an oil leak that I haven't quite pinned down where yet but possibly could be the sump gasket! Z power has a genuine one at £26 but I can see pattern ones from Germany for £10 inc post which seems good value. But is it -are the pattern ones just as good? Anyway - I did consider selling at one time but so glad I didn't and sure I will have lots of questions over the next few months and all I can say is roll on spring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tried adding a photo, no idea if it worked
Mike
Attachments
DSC02907.JPG

Garry.L
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Running again after 9 years! Just! Advice for a layman please!

#2 PostAuthor: Garry.L » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:50 pm

Before you start ripping the sump off check the left hand alternator case where the wiring enters, VERY common place for leaks which will run down onto the bottom of the engine.

The usual problem with bikes that have been laid up is blocked pilot circuits/jets. You could try an 'Italian Tune Up' to see if it settles but the carbs may require some manual intervention.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:22 pm

Same as already mentioned above.
If it starts easy enough and runs on all four give it a bit of time on the road..
A few hands full of throttle and some miles with fresh fuel running through the carbs usually clears minor gumming.

chrisNI
Site Admin

#4 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:50 pm

Bike looks great. Good luck with getting it going :D

bobajob
Regular Poster

#5 PostAuthor: bobajob » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:31 pm

Thanks for the replies! An Italian job it is then, although I admit I had to look up what one is! :shock:

Julian_Boolean
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#6 PostAuthor: Julian_Boolean » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:53 am

An Italian Tune Up consists of giving the bike a good thrashing, it gets fuel flowing through the jets and cleans carbon out of the engine, if I were you'd I'd do a couple of hundred miles on the bike and see if the running improves, but the worst it's going to be is gummed up pilot jtes or emulsion tubes in the carbs.

I've found Athena pattern gaskets to work and fit, I wouldn't use one for the head gasket but everywhere else they're just a piece of thick paper designed to fill the minor imperfections in the mating surfaces, I don't think it needs to be genuine Kawasaki paper.
An expanding collection of parts pretending to be a Z1100R and a Yamaha FZ750

Paulb
100Club
100Club

#7 PostAuthor: Paulb » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:11 am

Nice looking bike
Good to see another Z will be back on the road soon
Z900A4.
Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

Return to “Bike Help”