Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Panels and Tank Interchangeability

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Mark_K
Regular Poster

Panels and Tank Interchangeability

#1 PostAuthor: Mark_K » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:28 pm

Does the early petrol tank, side panels and tail from a Z1A fit any other versions ie Z1000 and Z900s?

Mark

chrisNI
Site Admin

Re: Panels and Tank Interchangeability

#2 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:00 pm

The tank and tail will you need to modify a few things to make the side panels fit :D

Mark_K
Regular Poster

#3 PostAuthor: Mark_K » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:00 pm

Thanks for that so it is "do able". I wanted to preserve my original setup and fancied a colour change.

Gus
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: Gus » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:07 pm

You can buy replica side panels from the Club which are better than original and very reasonably priced and you will get whatever set you need to fit without butchering (sorry modifying) :D

Gus
"Set the GRINDER on it"

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: Philippe » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:06 am

Hi Mark
as Chris allready mentioned: the tank and tail piece will fit.
The side panels of a Z1,Z1A and Z1B will not fit to a Z900A4 or a Z1000. You need to change the place of the holes in the frame in order to attach them. You allso have a problem with the shape of the air filter box. The air filter box of a Z1,Z1A, Z1B has a different shape (smaller) compared to the one of a Z900A4 or Z1000 (bigger and more or less "square").
The left hand side panel of a Z900A4 and a Z1000 have the same shape, you can easily mix those but the right hand side panel of a Z900A4 is not the same as the one of a Z1000. The lower lug of the right hand side panel of a 900A4 is more or less in the middle, the lower lug of a Z1000 side panel is more towards the front. Keep that in mind when ordering replica side panels!
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

zapo
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: zapo » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:35 pm

And not forgetting that the Z1/A/B tail piece has a rounded profile to match to oval rear light where as the A4 is more squared off to match the square-ish A4 light. In my eyes it doesn't look right if they are mismatched.

chrisNI
Site Admin

#7 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:45 pm

zapo wrote:And not forgetting that the Z1/A/B tail piece has a rounded profile to match to oval rear light where as the A4 is more squared off to match the square-ish A4 light. In my eyes it doesn't look right if they are mismatched.

The square light is horrible and doesn’t have a built in reflector either, in my eyes they don’t look right even matched - Z1000s are much improved with addition of the “proper” tailpiece and rear light :D :D :D

Return to “Bike Help”