Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

GPZ 1100 - first of many questions

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

JimBoUK
100Club
100Club

GPZ 1100 - first of many questions

#1 PostAuthor: JimBoUK » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:44 pm

Hi,

Today my new GPZ1100B1 US import project arrived.
It needs a shed load of work and is an open book to start with. Exactly what I wanted, I didn't want a simple tidy/restore job.
I'm very familiar with my Z1000A1 but never had a GPZ.
I've just spent some time out in the garage bonding with the bike and my head is full of questions.
I'll start with the engine

It's a non runner and converted to carbs
I was thinking of starting by getting it running but bearing in mind the engine will need work anyway this could be a waste of time - maybe ?

I've done a compression test. 3 are 100 PSI the other 120 psi.
So at a minimum it's the removal of the barrels and top end where everything will be measured, checked and replaced where needed. If it needs a re-bore I'll go bigger :)

My question is, should I check anything else before removing the engine and if I don't should I do a complete engine rebuild to be sure. I guess otherwise it's a risk that I'll put it all back together and have a bottom end, clutch, gearbox etc issue.
For example, I went to check it went into all gears. When not running it goes from neutral to first and back but not to second. I'm guessing this is by design and it won't go beyond first unless it's running ? (the Zed thou ain't like this :) )

Any advice on the approach to take with the engine will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

chrisNI
Site Admin

Re: GPZ 1100 - first of many questions

#2 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:14 pm

I'd be tempted to try getting running - if it will without too much trouble - at least it means you know where you're starting from... :shock:

Julian_Boolean
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#3 PostAuthor: Julian_Boolean » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:52 am

It'll only go into neutral and 1st with the engine stopped, gearbox should be good as they're bloody strong. Worth taking the top end off to have a look at what needs doing, cam chain might need replacing, new one from Kawasaki is about £45 (well my one was) and isn't a massive amount of work if you've got the engine out and a helpful friend.
An expanding collection of parts pretending to be a Z1100R and a Yamaha FZ750

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:58 am

Julian_Boolean wrote:It'll only go into neutral and 1st with the engine stopped, gearbox should be good as they're bloody strong. Worth taking the top end off to have a look at what needs doing, cam chain might need replacing, new one from Kawasaki is about £45 (well my one was) and isn't a massive amount of work if you've got the engine out and a helpful friend.

+1 for that advice.
http://www.airevalleyclassics.co.uk
10% discount code Z1OCTEN
Keyster rebuild kits & carburettor spares - airscrews, jets, needles, starter plungers & gaskets.
Also petrol/ethanol proof float bowl gaskets. IMD pistons preferred seller.

JimBoUK
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: JimBoUK » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:55 am

Thanks for the feedback.

I thought that not going into second when not running would be by design

Regarding the cam chain, I assume you can get one for the GPZ which is not endless and can be pulled through with the old chain then joined ?

Julian_Boolean
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#6 PostAuthor: Julian_Boolean » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:34 pm

JimBoUK wrote:Thanks for the feedback.

I thought that not going into second when not running would be by design

Regarding the cam chain, I assume you can get one for the GPZ which is not endless and can be pulled through with the old chain then joined ?

Probably, there's a man in Wickford, Essex who does this, I fitted an endless one in mine, splitting the crankcases and taking the crank out isn't that big a job if you've already taken the barrel and pistons off. Gaskets end up being expensive though.
An expanding collection of parts pretending to be a Z1100R and a Yamaha FZ750

Coose
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#7 PostAuthor: Coose » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:18 pm

I would take the cam cover off and measure it in a few positions first. They're a resilient thing that I think gets changed when it's not absolutely necessary. If it's approaching tolerance or you're doing a full rebuild anyway then fair enough, but if not it's a lot of work.
Also, in lifting the cam cover first you can make sure that the caps are all in place and check the valve clearances.

8 Valve Mark
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#8 PostAuthor: 8 Valve Mark » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:49 pm

probably worth another compression test with some oil in the bores since the bike has been sat unused, then as suggested try to start it. its really down to the mileage what the camchain will be like but they're generally bullet proof. .inspect the valve train as coose suggests too (chain tension, cams, shims, oil presence) if you don't already have a factory manual give me a shout. it looks like a good bike jim so best of luck.

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:16 pm

I always check the compression, first as is and then with a bit of oil in the bores.
Check for spark, valve clearances and carbs. (Strip and clean if necessary).
If it fires up then you're on a good starting point.
http://www.airevalleyclassics.co.uk
10% discount code Z1OCTEN
Keyster rebuild kits & carburettor spares - airscrews, jets, needles, starter plungers & gaskets.
Also petrol/ethanol proof float bowl gaskets. IMD pistons preferred seller.

johny brando
100Club
100Club

#10 PostAuthor: johny brando » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:51 am

Personally I'd try & get it going first before going any further ..... as a Cold compression test ain't worth a Carrot ! & if it has not run for a while the valve seats would likely be a bit grubby & would not give a true compression reading until they have been run for about 15-30 minutes = The length of a reasonable test ride ....where you can then confirm the G/box does'nt whine or make other noise's , that it changes gear OK & doe's not jump out of gear & all 5 gears are actually in there & available ! that it's charging OK , that the clutch is operating OK etc etc . Assuming the bottom end appears to be OK ...I'd still drop the sump & clean the oil pump pick up strainer ( that may never have done in it's life ) & as for a new Cam chain ( thats a no brainer...as likely it's old & tired ?? ) & a lot of it's associated running gear will likely need to be replaced as well !!!...... it's not difficult to split an existing cam chain link - then use a bit of plain wire to join or pull your new chain round & through & then re-rivet it . It's a pretty fare bet that at it's current age the motor is likely a bit tired & will need at least a Hone & new rings + a thorough Head job..... the bottom ends are very strong & hopefully you will OK there ?? ...but nothing lasts for ever aye & who knows the full history of what went before you !
Good luck , take your time & enjoy the journey ...it will be a fun & a satisfying project over the long winter ... what else you gunna do anyway - talk to the wife ! ha ha, Cheers, Johny. B.

JimBoUK
100Club
100Club

#11 PostAuthor: JimBoUK » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:36 pm

Thanks, lots of good advice here.

So, getting the bike running and riding it is not an option.
Front tyres flat, brakes don’t work, tank although not rusty needs flushing and cleaning. Etc etc
The bike did’t have a battery. I did the initial compression tests with jump leads from my z1000 but being a smaller battery it struggled.
I got a new battery and after some fiddling got it sparking on all 4.
Then I whipped the carbs off expecting an old gundgey mess inside but was pleasantly surprised. Although they need a strip, clean and rebuild they must have been drained at some point and were not too bad.

After all this I started by putting a drop of oil in each cylinder and doing the compression test again. I got about 170 psi on all 4.
Then I tried starting it. OMFG it kicked into life and actually sounded quite healthy.
As it’s in the garage I did not run it long and petrol started pouring from the carbs (probably expected)
When I could breath again after the exhaust fumes had cleared I did another compression test.
I got 135, 150, 90 and 120.
Whilst it was running and on the main stand I also checked it went through all 5 gears ok.

So the plan is .......
First the engines gotta come out for the frame powder coating etc.
Gonna take the head and barrels off the check and fix any worn parts. I will re-grind valves unless it needs more then I will send head off to expert. The bores will be re-honed and a new cam chain fitted. I’ll also take off the sump and clean everything.
I’ll paint it as I go and hopefully end up with a sweet engine.

Considering cost and free time will prob be back on the road in 2021.
I’ll post pics and many more questions as I go.

I’ve started a parts list.
Gonna cost a few bob

41F4EA1C-D316-4CAA-86CD-7669159E1EE8.jpeg

Return to “Bike Help”