Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

z1 carbs

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

ogre
100Club
100Club

z1 carbs

#1 PostAuthor: ogre » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:04 pm

hi all dunno if this is a common problem but i,m starting to put my z1 carbs together and i have noticed the top caps with the 2 screws are rocking on the carbs.its not the caps but the carbs.looks like they have pulled up or deformed where the screws go in.do they need to be flattened off cos i presume it will draw air in even with the gasket.
cheers ogre

warren3200gt
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: z1 carbs

#2 PostAuthor: warren3200gt » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:23 pm

think they should deffo be flat. If they weren't supposed to be air tight there would be not point in having a gasket. Time to dig out the club hammer.
PUM 488 June 2023
76 Z900A4, 77 Z650B1, 77 KZ650B1, 77 Z1000A1, 82 Z1000J2, ZRX1100R.

ogre
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: ogre » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:16 pm

Thought it cud of been a daft question but i thought better ask before i do get the hammer out

johny brando
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: johny brando » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:02 am

ogre wrote:hi all dunno if this is a common problem but i,m starting to put my z1 carbs together and i have noticed the top caps with the 2 screws are rocking on the carbs.its not the caps but the carbs.looks like they have pulled up or deformed where the screws go in.do they need to be flattened off cos i presume it will draw air in even with the gasket.
cheers ogre

Yeh... it sounds like some ones really over tightened the screws & pulled the threaded face area up ! .......but I'd have expected the - what 3mm threads to let go first but having said that ...there quite deep threads, so there harder to then strip !!! See if you can get a small bit of sheet glass e.g. go break a window some where !!!!! use that & rest it on top of the outer body face of each carbs & then rest the underside underside of the cover caps on it after ...to ensure this is the case = distorted side...& when you've identified what side is incorrect then 6oo grit wet & dry the culprit thats not a true & flat ( shouldn't a minute as it'll only be a small area ) . ....but Measure / view TWICE & cut once aye ! " & don't ask Malcolm for help either haha " Cheers ,Johny. B

Return to “Bike Help”