Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Replace or restore! Help!!!

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

bobajob
Regular Poster

Replace or restore! Help!!!

#1 PostAuthor: bobajob » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:32 pm

Been a bit reluctant to post this as it is probably a bit lame to you much more experienced folk but sure a lot of you have the experience of both sides of my dilemma and might be able to help me. I did try the search but didn't help with the very simple question, that I change my mind to the answer on daily, do I renew or restore the front brake system? What is on the bike now (Z1a) is all original but requires a total 100% overhaul, caliper, master cylinder kits and hose replacement complete with seized bleed screws etc etc. But I keep looking at the reproduction calipers and master cylinders on ebay and Z power and all seem reasonably priced, all look pretty good, looks a much easier job to do, but obviously don't pass as original. So I guess the question is- does the current reproduction parts offer better braking (I would expect the reliability), or should I be just man up and be confident in the reliability of properly overhauled 45 year old parts and still get equal braking to the reproduction parts, and keep it original which I admit I would like!
Mike

chrisNI
Site Admin

Re: Replace or restore! Help!!!

#2 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:53 pm

A lot depends on whether the bleed screws will come out without breaking the casting. If the answer is yes there’s no reason why the calipers shouldn’t overhaul fine.

Garry.L
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: Garry.L » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:20 pm

chrisNI wrote:A lot depends on whether the bleed screws will come out without breaking the casting. If the answer is yes there’s no reason why the calipers shouldn’t overhaul fine.

What he said.....

All the internals are available, so if you can salvage the caliper and remove the Bleeders then original is always better.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Bill P
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: Bill P » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:01 am

If your not confident in doing the calipers yourself give Dave a ring at Powerhouse Chesterfield
he's a top man who will sort them for you or just sell you what you Req, ive used him for years now.
As for the repo stuff i've just fitted a full double disc set up from Phil the Man at Z Power and it is
spot on everything you need comes in the box :)

bobajob
Regular Poster

#5 PostAuthor: bobajob » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:55 am

Thank you very much for the replies gents, powerhouse is clearly the way forward!!! Seasons greetings to you all! Mike

moizeau
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#6 PostAuthor: moizeau » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:09 pm

+1 to Powerhouse, I've done both front calipers that were totally seized and the master cylinder that was very furry. Their prices and parts are very good. If you don't fancy the job yourself they'll do the rebuild.
I needed 2 dust seals for the rear and they put a special on ebay for me that was only the dust and piston seals, cheaper than 2 OEM dust seals. Can't recommend them enough.
Pete

walshyco
100Club
100Club

#7 PostAuthor: walshyco » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:33 pm

moizeau wrote:+1 to Powerhouse, I've done both front calipers that were totally seized and the master cylinder that was very furry. Their prices and parts are very good. If you don't fancy the job yourself they'll do the rebuild.
I needed 2 dust seals for the rear and they put a special on ebay for me that was only the dust and piston seals, cheaper than 2 OEM dust seals. Can't recommend them enough.

+2 for Powerhouse, they really are a great company to deal with and very knowledgable.

Return to “Bike Help”