Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1B Swinging Arm Pivot bolt

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

david.forsyth
Regular Poster

Z1B Swinging Arm Pivot bolt

#1 PostAuthor: david.forsyth » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:27 am

I am stripping down a 1975 Z1B and have came across a problem. I can't get the Swinging Arm off. Instead of one long Pivot Bolt my bike has two short bolts. One either side of the frame. They appear to thread into split threaded bushes in the frame. Has any one came across this arrangement before. If so how do you get the swinging arm off?

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

Re: Z1B Swinging Arm Pivot bolt

#2 PostAuthor: Pigford » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:41 am

Photo may help?
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

david.forsyth
Regular Poster

#3 PostAuthor: david.forsyth » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:10 am

I will take some photographs when I get home tonight. Thanks.

8 Valve Mark
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#4 PostAuthor: 8 Valve Mark » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:41 am

it sounds like the wrong swingarm has been fitted. hmm...:rock

david.forsyth
Regular Poster

#5 PostAuthor: david.forsyth » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:12 pm

I've taken some photographs of swinging arm set up on the bike. The swinging arm is stamped 504.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (84.72 KiB) Viewed 4169 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (116.66 KiB) Viewed 4169 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (99.41 KiB) Viewed 4169 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (150.92 KiB) Viewed 4169 times

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: z1bman » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:48 pm

is the threaded insert welded or can it be unscrewed ?

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:53 pm

Certainly not a std set up.
Looks to be possibly a hollow spindle that extends past the arm and into the frame with a securing bolt at each end, maybe been made to eliminate the usual 0.4mm slop that exists between the original spindle and frame to improve handling.
An educated guess would be that the spindle should just knock out.
Re-fit one of the bolts but leave a few mill before it seats and give the bolt head a healthy tap to see if it moves.
The reason for the slots could simply be for a holding tool to stop the spindle turning whilst tightening one end or perhaps they are split because they are taper tapped and spread when the bolt is tightened to eliminate the aforementioned slop..

david.forsyth
Regular Poster

#8 PostAuthor: david.forsyth » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:36 pm

Thank you for your help. Firstly the threaded inserts aren't welded in. I have tried inserting a plate into the slots and tried to turn the insert but it wouldn't turn. I've tried this on both ends. The spindle is hollow and I've tried screwing in one of the bolts and giving it a smack but it didn't move. I think I will apply some heat and try again.

johny brando
100Club
100Club

#9 PostAuthor: johny brando » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:59 pm

david.forsyth wrote:Thank you for your help. Firstly the threaded inserts aren't welded in. I have tried inserting a plate into the slots and tried to turn the insert but it wouldn't turn. I've tried this on both ends. The spindle is hollow and I've tried screwing in one of the bolts and giving it a smack but it didn't move. I think I will apply some heat and try again.

Dave - I believe this is a very, very similar set up to my 1050 Speed Triple engine mounts & it's single sided S/arm spindle mount & this is a Triumph factory smart way to remove all end float- bar 1 thou ! The recessed slotted end your looking at is also threaded externally into the frame itself ( looks like a really job has been done here ....by some one in the know ) that sleeve section is thread so as to take out all the available side play between the s/ arm itself & the frame then it is locked in that final position by the end bolts . You need to get an old or new socket ( from a socket set ) that has the right O/Diameter to sit nicely within the I/ Diameter of the frame boss then grind or cut the socket end ,so it has 2 matching snugly fitting male tails that pert rude and engage down within those 2 slots there..........then undo it ( likely a normal r/h thread ...it should not be tight...maybe 5lbs to 10 lbs / ft ) & with it then removed - what ever modified spindle is in there should then slide out ....... First though ( use a torch to have a look inside & check if the spindle centre has been threaded to so as to aid extracting it...this before you trying tapping it out " best to pull it- if that option is available to you ( if so you may have to make up a simple draw bolt & spacer if needed to pull it out ) Also mate good time to chuck in the later better Z900 A4 bushes & 2 grease nipples if you don't already have them in place . Hope this might be of assistance.
Good luck & All the best Johny. B.

david.forsyth
Regular Poster

#10 PostAuthor: david.forsyth » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:06 am

I don't think there is an external thread. I will have a closer look. Thank you for your help.

david.forsyth
Regular Poster

#11 PostAuthor: david.forsyth » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:05 am

I have upset someone for not posting my findings and concluding this post. I apologise for this and will conclude now. The swinging arm had two Aluminium bushes installed with no spacer tube. On the outside of that was two shim washers, one at either end. The spindle was hollow with an internal thread at either end. A slot had been milled at either end. The swinging arm was installed between the frame and the spindle inserted. A hex headed 1/4" NPT plug was then installed into the spindle thread at either side. This expanded the outside diameter of the spindle allowing it to grip the frame. Rob help me with this as he described it exactly as it was and although I sent Rob a personal message of thanks I should have posted my findings on the open forum as it may help someone else.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (121.61 KiB) Viewed 3926 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (134.44 KiB) Viewed 3926 times

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#12 PostAuthor: Philippe » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:36 pm

Hi David
thanks for the pictures! I've never seen something like that, it's ingenious!
One is never too old to learn something new.
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

david.forsyth
Regular Poster

#13 PostAuthor: david.forsyth » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:46 pm

Your very welcome Philippe.

Swirl
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#14 PostAuthor: Swirl » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:22 pm

Interesting setup, glad it's out, what's next on the agenda

david.forsyth
Regular Poster

#15 PostAuthor: david.forsyth » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:51 pm

Swirl wrote:Interesting setup, glad it's out, what's next on the agenda

I've striped the whole bike down. Now the rebuild starts.

Return to “Bike Help”