Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Needle bearing conversion

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

david.forsyth
Regular Poster

Needle bearing conversion

#1 PostAuthor: david.forsyth » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:39 am

Has anyone changed the swinging arm bushes for needle bearings on a Z1B. If so is it worth doing?

needaz1100r
ZedHead
ZedHead

Re: Needle bearing conversion

#2 PostAuthor: needaz1100r » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:22 pm

david.forsyth wrote:Has anyone changed the swinging arm bushes for needle bearings on a Z1B. If so is it worth doing?

It's a more modern way of doing things, but would you notice a difference? Unlikely, given both systems in good order.

I believe that from an engineering perspective a needle bearing moving constantly over a small portion of it's travel in a hostile environment is less suitable than the large bearing surface of a bush.

Just my opinion.
Cheers,

Mark.

david.forsyth
Regular Poster

#3 PostAuthor: david.forsyth » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:04 pm

Hi Mark, thanks for your reply.
Dave

johny brando
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: johny brando » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:38 am

david.forsyth wrote:Has anyone changed the swinging arm bushes for needle bearings on a Z1B. If so is it worth doing?

Yeh....... thanks a lot for letting me know I'd helped you solve your swing arm problem !!!!! I guess it was exactly what I said then & O well, I've learnt too.... I'll keep my knowledge to myself in future !

david.forsyth
Regular Poster

#5 PostAuthor: david.forsyth » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:45 am

Hi Johny, sorry if I have upset you but I don't know how! If you look back the post you are referring to you will see that I thanked you at the time. The information you gave me was not how my swinging arm pivot had been modified so you didn't actually help me solve my problem but I still thanked you for replying to my question. What is the etiquette here. If I am doing something wrong please let me know as I am not out to offend anyone just looking for help when I need it.

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:04 pm

david.forsyth wrote:If I am doing something wrong please let me know as I am not out to offend anyone just looking for help when I need it.

Nowt wrong with asking for assistance / clarification - that’s what this club / forum is for.
adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

chrisNI
Site Admin

#7 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:52 pm

ADRIAN H wrote:
david.forsyth wrote:If I am doing something wrong please let me know as I am not out to offend anyone just looking for help when I need it.

Nowt wrong with asking for assistance / clarification - that’s what this club / forum is for.

+1 :D

8 Valve Mark
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#8 PostAuthor: 8 Valve Mark » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:10 am

johny brando wrote:

Yeh....... thanks a lot for letting me know I'd helped you solve your swing arm problem !!!!! I guess it was exactly what I said then & O well, I've learnt too.... I'll keep my knowledge to myself in future !

QUITE the opposite mate! no use at all. unfortunately. not great for your ego eh? :lol:

8 Valve Mark
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#9 PostAuthor: 8 Valve Mark » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:08 am

david.forsyth wrote:Hi Johny, sorry if I have upset you but I don't know how! If you look back the post you are referring to you will see that I thanked you at the time. The information you gave me was not how my swinging arm pivot had been modified so you didn't actually help me solve my problem but I still thanked you for replying to my question. What is the etiquette here. If I am doing something wrong please let me know as I am not out to offend anyone just looking for help when I need it.

don't worry about it David, he was last online on Sunday morning without response ; obviously eating his words.
Last edited by 8 Valve Mark on Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

david.forsyth
Regular Poster

#10 PostAuthor: david.forsyth » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:38 am

Hi, thank you all for your support. Much appreciated. I have been private messaging back and forth with Johny and hopefully we have sorted things out.

KeithZ1R

#11 PostAuthor: KeithZ1R » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:59 am

david.forsyth wrote:Hi, thank you all for your support. Much appreciated. I have been private messaging back and forth with Johny and hopefully we have sorted things out.

Excellent David, good luck with the rest of you project :up
Keith
:bop :gom

You can never have too many tools in your life, except the two legged variety

I'm never wrong, once I thought I was but I was
mistaken.

Phil Churchett winner 2013

Return to “Bike Help”